• Show
Clear All
  • matrix4
    • May 2004

burnt dvd problems

hi there!
    can anybody help me please?
    i use dvd shrink for backup my movies,after i play the movies
    2-3 times in my dvd player they start to skipping or they dont play at all.
    is there somthing wrong with my dvd's(kodak,memorex)or cut that be the
    dvd player(philips)?
    thanks for awnser
    matrix4
  • LT. Columbo
    Demigod of Digital Video
    • Nov 2004

below is a link that will tell which media is best suited for your dvd player.just enter the make and model# in the search feild and see which media has the best results.
    i'd try a maxell disc, tdk or verbatim and burn at 2x or 4x, tops.

"after i play the movies
    2-3 times in my dvd player they start to skipping or they dont play at all."

it really sounds like a simple matter of your player not liking those discs. my player behaves in the exact same fashion with a certain media i have tried in the past.
    "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
    Columbo moments...
    "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
    "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
    (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• setarip
      Retired
      • Dec 2001

"after i play the movies 2-3 times in my dvd player they start to skipping or they dont play at all."

1) If you play your ORIGINAL, commercial, purchased DVDs 2-3 times in your dvd player, do they exhibit the same behaviour?

2) You might try running a DVD/CD cleaning disc on the standalone DVD player. maxell makes one that retails for approximately $10US...

Comment

• The Maynard
        • Jan 2003

Also, are these DVD-R or DVD+R discs? +R discs seem to have better compatibility with DVD players because they fool the player into thinking it's a commercially bought disc. -R discs are viewed by the player as a recordable disc and require that your player has information in it's firmware to be able to recognize it. In my experience +R discs load alot faster as well.

Comment

• jmet
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2002

If your backup freezes, stutters, skips, or has some pixelation, it is more than likely due to poor quality media being used. Cheap media is poorly manufactured around the edge of the disc, hence the reason why it mostly skips or freezes from the middle toward the end of the movie. The two main things to consider first are:
          • Is it cheap media that you are using? (ie. some off brand you bought at a local computer store/fair, even a store like Circuit City or Best Buy sells cheap low quality media.)
          • How fast are you burning? - Burn no faster than 4X, might have to go down to 2X with really cheap media.

Also, are you using adhesive labels on your back ups? If so, try removing the labels (if you can) and playing them again. Go here for more info on why not to use labels. - http://forum.digital-digest.com/show...threadid=28604

You can go here for some other possible solutions: http://forum.digital-digest.com/show...threadid=44912

Also try lowering outcome the "Target DVD size".

Open DVD Shrink. Click "Edit", then "Preferences". On the first tab at the top in the drop down box, change it from "DVD-5 (4.7GB) to "Custom" and enter a number of 4200MB (4464MB is burning to the edge of the disc, you want to stay away from the edge as the edge of cheap media (disc's) are poorly manufactured). Screen Shot Below:

Comment

• The Maynard
            • Jan 2003

Awesome! I didn't even think of that option. Even though I usually get good quality media and I use labels I have never had any playback problems. But there was one or two times when, after Shrink was done encoding the file, DVDDecryptor said that the file was too big for the disc and asked if I should burn it anyway. I said yes and it worked just fine all the way to the end.

So if this ever became a common problem for me I now know I can change the target size in that menu option. Thanks!

Comment

• Gianni T
              • Apr 2005

Im trying to make a copy of a copy.Im trying to download to my hard drive first.Why does the speed of the download keep getting faster.I tried with both nero and decryptor to set the speed at 4.It starts out fine then keeps getting faster,sometimes up to 10k.Im trying to make good copys.Most of them turn out fine but sometimes they dont.I use maxell or fuji.+.Help. Gianni

Comment

Working...