Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kagie
    • Jul 2005

DVD burner does not read dvds - sees files only

Hi. I have a new computer, built by a friend. It has Pioneer dvd burner model DVR-108. I also have a Sony DVD ROM DDU1613. My sony drive reads DVD's just fine. put the movie in and it recognizes it - lets me choose which program to run it in and off I go. DVD burner does not recognize the dvd as a dvd - it reads the audio and video files. I have set my "autorun" in properties. The bottom line is, I'm tryig to burn dvds and the program does not recognize the fact there is media in the drive. I've sent the recorder to pioneer for repair. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the burner. Can you help?
  • LT. Columbo
    Demigod of Digital Video
    • Nov 2004

how old is this burner? was a lens cleaning disc ran on it?
    "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
    Columbo moments...
    "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
    "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
    (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• Kagie
      • Jul 2005

purchased in January of this year. Just got it back from Pioneer and it was cleaned and lined up. They said it works properly.

Comment

• Experi-Mentor
        Digital Video Master
        Digital Video Master
        • Nov 2004

welcome to the forum

check all the physical drive configurations.
        primary master = main hdd
        prim. slave = ??
        2ndry master = ??
        2ndry slave = ??

& on some occasions, conflicts between 2 certain drives/rom/burner may conflict when combined in a certain configuration. try physically disconnecting the "sony", & retry with your 108.

Comment

• Kagie
          • Jul 2005

I know what Steve said, but I don't know how to physically check. He said the burner is set as master and sony as slave. When he first built the puter it was the opposite. It burn process sped up when he switched it. I failed to mention that it did work for about a month. In the device manager it lists the burner in location 0, and the sony in location 1. In IDE ATA/ATAPI controlers - shows them both on primary, neither on secondary. In fact, Steve says I don't have a secondary. I'm thinking of just hiring someone to come in and fix this. where do you live? Steve builds computers for a living, but this has got him puzzled and ready to give up. I'm not sure how to disconnect the sony, I mean I can just unplug it, but then do I have to do something about the slave/master stuff? I'll try to get someone in here to disconnect it but it may take a few days. thx

Comment

• awesomeincalg
            • Dec 2004

You'd have to open the box and unplug the Sony from the cable...remove the power supply plug as well. Make sure the computer is off and the main power switch on the back is off as well.

The drives MAY be set to master/ master but check the jumper settings on the back of each of them. I know, if it worked for a month then WTF? Check anyway...Measure twice, cut once! (Old carpenter saying, get it? ) You DO have a primary and secondary...the 108 is primary and the Sony is the slave by the way you put it.

FYI, the bios settings are usually not in play because they auto-detect the sequence.

If you have a spare IDE ie. number 2, put the main burner on it and run the Sony off your HDD as a the slave. That may help auto-configure it easier if your board has a problem. And check for bios firmware and MB updates.

Hope this helps...

Bob
            Last edited by awesomeincalg; 22 Jul 2005, 05:49 PM. Reason: Addition to post

Comment

• Kagie
              • Jul 2005

I had the guru come out and take a look. All is hooked up well and good. My supposedly top of the line mother ... board does not have a secondary. I've updated the firmware (there was one). Dustin (the guru) said it's my program I am using (ICOPYDVDs2). But why would it work fine for a month and then give up - I don't remember adding any programs at that time that could have caused a compatability issue (musicmatch??). PS - I own a woodworking company - (big grin) - A woman in a man's world. I'm stuck again with a burner that I can't use. I think I should have gotten a different mother board. Would it help to buy an external burner? Or possibly a different burner - I have a multitude of (hope i get these letters right) ATA hookups but no extra IDE. Maybe this will help - mother board is: CPU P4/3.2 GHz 800M LGA775 540 RET.

Comment

• cornholio7
                Unavailable
                • Jun 2005

check your jumper settings . if they are set to css try master / slave instead
                check your dma, you said it worked a month ago.
                try updating your chipset drivers

Comment

Working...