Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JoeUser
    • Jul 2005

Mixing Video and Data

Hello. I am a newbie here and browsed the forums and didn't find anything related to my problem. Here goes.

During the course our our softball season, we collected some 500 + digital pictures of the kids playing. I have taken all the pictures and created a nice slideshow w/music using proshow gold. I compiled the show into an .exe file that can run stand alone. From there, I created an auto run CD with menus to play the show, browse CD and pictures and an installer program I made to install the slideshow to hard disk due to the fact that it's size may cause jerky video/audio on slow computers. I am just trying to accomodate all the kids I am making this for. This part all works fine, but am just trying to give history of what I am trying to do.

I figure there may be one or two kids that don't have computers and I wanted them all to be able to view this and not be left out, so I took the slideshow and generated an mpeg2 file with it. From there, created and svcd that plays fine with the whole show in most dvd players. No problem there, this all works fine.

Now the problem. I want to have these 2 things merged together so they are all on one CD. I have the room as the entire project is just under 700 mb. But I can't get them both to work so that my svcd menus and autoplay of the movie in a dvd player works. I have made ISO files of the SVCD with WinISO and MagicISO and then added my data files with the autorun and etc. for the PC side and it will work, but the svcd portion will corrupt and not autoplay. I am still allowed to browse the disk and select the video file and get it to play on my dvd, but I really wanted to completely idiot proof this whole thing.

(Here is what the file structure on the CD is (though it doesn't work right now)
    *All the SVCD files*
    EXT
    MPEG2
    SVCD
    SEGMENT
    DATA
    *All the Autorun and PC files*
    PICTURES
    SLIDESHOW
    INSTALLER
    autorun.apm
    autorun.exe
    autorun.inf

Is what I am trying to do possible? I have seen interactive CD-Roms that have music, games and will sometimes have some little movie clips on them that play in a dvd player or a PC, so I have to think it can be done somehow.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by JoeUser; 31 Jul 2005, 12:29 PM.
  • blutach
    Not a god of digital video
    • Oct 2004

Most DVD players will play DVDs but not execute an EXE file. Some DVD players, as you have found, will play SVCD.

As you have guessed, the way to view the show and the pc-rom files is via a PC drive. I have not (yet) seen a standalone DVD player which will do both.

What ALL DVD players will do is, of course, play DVD files. You can then, for the kids that have PCs, place the DVD-ROM files (jpegs or whatever), at the root folder level like this:

DISK ROOT DIRECTORY contains DVD-ROM files (jpegs, exe, installer etc - will play in PC)
    <INDENT>VIDEO_TS (all DVD files go in here - IFOs, VOBs and BUPs)

AUDIO_TS (no files in here)

Regards
    Last edited by blutach; 31 Jul 2005, 12:28 PM.
    Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
    [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

Working...