Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mcd046
    • Apr 2005

missing/lost giga bites

I shrunk a movie using dvd shrink 2.3 and put it into a folder I created called dvds then I put the movie onto a blank dvd.When I started I had 77 gb on my hard drive the movie was 4.3 gb I then deleted the dvds folder and checked my hard drive,I had 75gb. What happened to the other 2 gbs where did they go? Thank You for any assistance. PS I also went into Nero imported video and deleted what was in there.
  • shulthise
    Professional Amateur
    • May 2003

Well, could be lots of things, which are not necessarily related to the burn process;

Try this for starter:

1. Run Scan Disk (I'm assuming you're using MS Windows) to fix any file-system issues - Could be that the 2 GB are reported occupied by the file-system but should have been released.

2. Search the disk for files larger than 500MB and not older than the day you burned the disk.

Comment

• tigerman8u
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Aug 2003

check the recycle bin and if using norton the files are probably protected and you will have to open norton protected and delete them

Comment

• ashes
        Platinum Member
        Platinum Member
        • Aug 2005

@mcd046

Hi!

It may simply be a temporary increase in the size of your Windows Swap file.

Try rebooting and see if your free space has increased.

Comment

• mcd046
          • Apr 2005

Thanks to everyone for the replies,I tried all the above but I still didnt recover the missing 2 gb. Ill try another movie and see what happens.

Comment

• jm1647
            An Eagles Fan, A MenuShrinker
            • Apr 2005

You could try doing a search for all files and specify a date range (it's in the advanced options) for the day you created the DVD, it might be a bunch of little ones that add up 2GB maybe.

Comment

• shulthise
              Professional Amateur
              • May 2003

Oh, dude, forgot to ask- Do you have eMule or other file sharing app running in the background ?
              If so - it could be that the app created large files for download in progress (legal shiit, of course), or better yet - file download is complete, and you have (legally obtained) movies/music/software in the "complete" folder.

temp "in progress" and "completed" downloads can easily mount up to 2GB and more..
              Last edited by shulthise; 5 Aug 2005, 04:27 AM.

Comment

• anonymez
                Super Moderator
                • Mar 2004

check how large your "temp" folder is at: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp

(replace "Adminstrator" with your windows account username) it is safe to delete these files

and, as mentioned above, file sharing programs such as emule create files on your hard disk at the full size as the files you are downloading, even if they are not yet complete...
                "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• shulthise
                  Professional Amateur
                  • May 2003

If all fail.. look under the sofa..
                  Last edited by shulthise; 5 Aug 2005, 10:13 AM.

Comment

Working...