Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris
    • Mar 2002

WinDVR MPEG2 to DivX problem

I have an MPEG2 file (352x480 half DVD) captured with WinDVR (intervideo). It looks great when played in any player.
    Conversion to DivX (4.12) with XMpeg seems to be ok, but when trying to play the divX file (I tried many players) the playback is not smooth at all (very jumpy. I plays a few frames then freeses for a few ms and play a few frames again...and so on).
    I am resizing to 640x480.

Anyone can help me?
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

I would suggest that you use the same resolution that you used for the capture. It really won't make much difference and you're actually putting more burden on the CPU when using a higher resolution.

Talking about CPU, it would seem that yours is struggling to play the DivX file at that resolution (which, in my own experience, is a big challenge to sub-GHz systems).

Comment

• Chris
      • Mar 2002

My CPU is a Pentium 1.1 Ghz I beleive. I watch divx movies all the time without any problem on this machine and also on my other duron 850 machine. Actually, on this movie the CPU usage for the player is about 30%. It does not seem to be the CPU.

I have tried almost all MPEG2 capture softwares WinDVR, PowerVCR and ATI MultiMedia center. None of the Mpeg 2 files from any of these program seems to be convertible to divX using XMpeg or FlaskMpeg (they all crash). WinDVR seems to be the less bad one since I was able to produce a divX file but playback of this file is all screwed up.

I will try your suggestion. Thanks.

If anyone knows a reliable way/software to capture in MPEG-2 and then convert to divX please let me know?

Thanks.

Comment

• Chris
        • Mar 2002

I just try with 320x240, the movie is jumpy (just the same way). I definitly don't think it is the CPU.
        I will retry with no resizing.

Comment

• Batman
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Jan 2002

You may want to scan divx-diges.com and vcdhelp.com on mpeg2 to avi conversion software. Also, check download.com and the reviews posted for mpeg 2 to avi software.

Comment

Working...