Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Big Scaz
    • Aug 2005

Unknown video file extension

I recently spent a few days in Prague on a stag party. The CCTV cameras at our hotel caught our stag in some hilarious situations which the hotel receptionist was happy to forward to us. The trouble is the files have a .vgz extension. I have searched the net a can find nothing about these files.....Can anybody out there help me to open them????? Cheers!
    <!-- / message -->
  • LT. Columbo
    Demigod of Digital Video
    • Nov 2004

a .vgz file is a compressed .VGM file (audio)

winamp should be able to play it....
    "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
    Columbo moments...
    "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
    "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
    (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• anonymez
      Super Moderator
      • Mar 2004

a vgz file is a "g-zip" compressed file. download & install "winrar", and open the file with it. you should be able to extract the file(s). you can play the file (which may be a VGM file) with "winamp", as long as you have the correct plugin for it.

an odd file format to put audio in... it is the format the old sega consoles used for their audio
      "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• LT. Columbo
        Demigod of Digital Video
        • Nov 2004

too bad they couldn't give you something a little more common and easier to work with....like an MP3!
        "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
        Columbo moments...
        "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
        "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
        (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• jm1647
          An Eagles Fan, A MenuShrinker
          • Apr 2005

Big Scaz said their antics were captured on a CCTV camera unless they only sent the audio of it there's a good chance it is a different type file. A little explanation of a gzipped .vgm file and why it changes the extension is here. Like anonymez said try winrar or get gzip here and try it to see what kinda file comes out of it.

Comment

• listre
            Tech Rouge
            • Apr 2006

Okay. I need to shine a little light on this subject. Big Scaz is talking about a video format from Ionit which uses the .vgz extension. The player for this can be found on their site http://www.ionittech.com/Tech_Suppor...ort%20page.htm

Comment

Working...