• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • froggythrower
    Platinum Member
    Platinum Member
    • Apr 2005

Help With Permanent Dvd Image File Deletion

I realise this request is nothing to do with software/burners or anything that normally gets asked in relation to this forum, but in a way it is highly relevent to all people viewing this site, so I hope someone has an answer to my question.
    I have been ripping personally owned backups of dvd's for some time now, as i have four pesky little children that love to disrespect our dvd collection, I have NEVER sold or given away any copies and do not own more than one copy of any original dvd in my possesion.
    My problem is that I recently bought a brand new pc and want to sell my old one as it stiil has good specifications. But this brings me to the problem that my old pc contains file logs etc of films that i have ripped and dont want a potential buyer to find, so my questions are -;
    1.) When you delete a file/iso image of a film from your hard disc, can it still be recovered even if it has said it was permanently deleted
    2.) Are there any remnants of files/programs left in your computer after I have removed them in control panel
    3.) How do I ensure my pc is free of incriminating evidence without the use of a recovery disc

In todays world there seems to not be any difference to just making backups for personal use and mass producing for sale, it is all piracy according to the law, i personally believe that if the dvd manufacturers offered a replacement for legitimately owned discs when they became scratched or damaged then i would not need to put myself on the wrong side of the law
    Thanks in advance to all who may answer this thread
    Regards Froggy

• Lownox
    • Jun 2005

IMHO, The only way to make 100% sure is to reformat the HD and reinstall your OS. It may be a pain but well worth the time. Somebody may know of a better way and like I said that's my opinion."Opinions are like noses everybody has at least one!"
    AMD Athlon 2600+
    1G Ram
    (2) WD 120G HD
    Plextor 716A
    NEC 3550

Comment

• jm1647
      An Eagles Fan, A MenuShrinker
      • Apr 2005

My answers to your questions

1 - yes they can still be recovered
      2. yes
      3- Only sure way is to ovewrwrite the entire HDD and do a complete reinstall with the recovery disk

A nice free program that will do this is bcwipe. It overwites the HDD IAW DOD specifications. You can get it here The free version only does the HDD. The $ licensed version will securely delete files.

Comment

• Lownox
        • Jun 2005

@jm1647 If you use the HD manufacture's format disc will it be the same as using bcwipe or will some of the files still be "recoverable"?
        AMD Athlon 2600+
        1G Ram
        (2) WD 120G HD
        Plextor 716A
        NEC 3550

Comment

• jm1647
          • Apr 2005

Lownox - A low level format is better than a regular format but when I was with DOD we hadda use bcwipe for file deletion and HDD wiping. It does not just format but overwrites the entire HDD or file multiple times. Uncle Sam had a big contract with them for all their 'puters.

Comment

• froggythrower
            Platinum Member
            Platinum Member
            • Apr 2005

Thankyou for answering my post, doesnt look like my old pc is going to be sold to anybody as I cant find the recovery disc, I have deleted everything that was readable and relatable to programs in REGEDIT, like the recent file lists/destinations that shrink stores but that seems not enough, looks like it would be best to burn(with petrol) the pc
            Regards Froggy

Comment

• Lownox
              • Jun 2005

jm1647, thanks for the info!
              AMD Athlon 2600+
              1G Ram
              (2) WD 120G HD
              Plextor 716A
              NEC 3550

Comment

• froggythrower
                Platinum Member
                Platinum Member
                • Apr 2005

This brings me to another question that doesnt really relate to myself because to my knowledge I have only ever made ONE copy of all my originals, but other people on this forum may have made more than one copy, so the question is - Would the authorities be able to determine HOW MANY copies of each film you had made if you hadn't reformatted
                Regards Froggy

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                  Demigod of Digital Video
                  • Nov 2004

"Would the authorities be able to determine HOW MANY copies of each film you had made if you hadn't reformatted"

maybe, maybe not. in any case life is too short to worry or dwell on something as minor as this. don't worry, i'm sure you'll be fine
                  "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
                  Columbo moments...
                  "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
                  "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
                  (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• jm1647
                    • Apr 2005

If your burning logs are on the computer yes. Also someone mentioned that a burning program puts the serial number of the burner on the burnt DVD.

Unless the authorities are coming to look at your PC like LT said don't worry about it.

Comment

• jm1647
                      • Apr 2005

@froggythrower - I got another idea for you. The cost of HDD's is way down. Why not replace the drive and install it in your new PC. It's always good to have a seperate drive for data/videos anyway. Just a thought.

Comment

• stump
                        • Aug 2005

If your old puter is a dell,,you can factory restore by holding down ctrl tab and tapping f-11 during restart without a disk

Comment

• froggythrower
                          Platinum Member
                          Platinum Member
                          • Apr 2005

Originally Posted by jm1647
                          @froggythrower - I got another idea for you. The cost of HDD's is way down. Why not replace the drive and install it in your new PC. It's always good to have a seperate drive for data/videos anyway. Just a thought.
                          If you remember when lightning Uk announced his retirement, well my old pc is made by the company we all suspect as being his downfall??? 'The SOME' company or 'SAID' company !!! And is ALL IN ONE so I can't even open it let alone change the hard drive, but nice thought
                          Regards Froggy

Comment

• froggythrower
                            Platinum Member
                            Platinum Member
                            • Apr 2005

Jm1647, why did you put on yur first message
                            SETARIP - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN !!!!!
                            Haven't been on this forum for a while, did I miss something while I was gone? ? ?
                            Regards Froggy

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                              Demigod of Digital Video
                              • Nov 2004

he's keeping the memory of setarip alive. he "supposedly", "retired"...
                              "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
                              Columbo moments...
                              "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
                              "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
                              (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

Working...