Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Honolulu_Horror
    • Oct 2005

Htpc

I am building an HTPC. The only thing left is my video card. I was thinking about an All-in-Wonder from ATI and the additional HDTV Wonder. Any ideas on how to proceed with this graphics card dilemma or should I just purchase what I have listed above?

This will be feeding a Panasonic 42" TH-42PHD8UK

Intel P4 775 3.0 GHZ
    Abit AL8
    1 GB Corsair XMS RAM
    3x 300GB Maxtor Maxline III RAID 0
    Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
    2x HP DVD640i w/lightscribe
    Silverstone Lascala LC14M
    Logitech Cordless Duo
    Antec Phantom 500W
  • anonymez
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2004

all from my own experience

CPU: I'd much rather go with an AMD Athlon64. they run on less power, and less heat. considering this is a HTPC, and will be on for extended periods, those two factors are important. Athlon64's also come with 'cool 'n' quiet, which lowers the voltage in CPU, depending on its load. since playing hdtv will take only ~30% cpu load (it does on my system), it will extend the life of the cpu. also AMD are usually cheaper than their p4 equivalents.

RAM: perfect, even 512 would do IMO. go with 2 512 sticks, and make sure your motherboard supports 'dual channel ram' (will give a considerable boost in speed).

HDD: cool

DVD writers: cool again

PSU: its cool, just make sure it runs quiet

Graphics Card: IMO get an nvidia, they have better hdtv support. 6600 would be the way to go. in that case, you would have to get a separate capture card. add up the costs, to see which is cheaper, getting a hdtv aiw, or an nvidia and a separate hdtv capture card. i myself would pay a little extra and get a separate hdtv card instead of an aiw.

Capture Card: go with the cheapest card you can find that has media center BDA drivers. all cards are the same, only the software differs. since you're probably going to be using media center apps, the software should'nt matter either. get one with a remote if you don't have a remote already.
    "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• Honolulu_Horror
      • Oct 2005

Thanks for the info!! Unfortunately, I already have the equipmment listed above, except for the video cards. But, it is good news to hear as I will be building another HTPC for the living room.

This one is for the bedroom.

I noticed that you have the X800XL pci-e, I was thinking about using the AIW X800XL pci-e. How is that card for gaming?

Again, thanks for the info

Comment

• anonymez
        Super Moderator
        • Mar 2004

no problem, feel free to ask more questions

the X800XL is fantastic for gaming and digital video, i run all games on at least 4X anti-aliasing, and 8X anisotropic filtering. this includes games like farcry, rome total war, gta san andreas, doom3, etc.

it is excellent, and i highly recommend it, especially at the price tag
        "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

Working...