Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • noels
    • Sep 2005

Nero 7 CD won't start

Hope this is right thread for this question - I see Nero 7 in so many different threads on this forum. Anyway, I can't get my Nero 7 CD to start. I just spent 3 hours trying to get it to load, by autostart, by Explorer and by Start/run, but none worked, kept hanging my machine up. I even sent my machine back in time (hoping maybe for a better config) but no help there either! I tried my Nero 6 and it loaded in a heartbeat! On Nero 7 I was finally able to get it to open Nero PhotoShow, but only by a fluke. Has anybody else had a similar problem? I went to support.nero.com and they aren't even equipped to handle Nero 7 problems, their drop down boxes have Nero 6 at the top... Thanks for any help - I'm about to take it back to Beat Buy. noels
  • anonymez
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2004

i don't have nero7 yet, so this is a stab in the dark, but try disconnecting from the net, and shutdown your firewall. then run it.

also check ctrl+alt+delete to see if the nero7 process is actually running. did you try uninstalling nero6 before you installed nero7?
    "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• noels
      • Sep 2005

Anonymez, "i don't have nero7 yet..."

"i don't have nero7 yet, so this is a stab in the dark, but try disconnecting from the net, and shutdown your firewall. then run it.
      also check ctrl+alt+delete to see if the nero7 process is actually running. did you try uninstalling nero6 before you installed nero7?"

Thanks, anonymez, I did try all that.. as a matter of fact, ctrl-alt-delete kept giving me "an unknown function" to be shutdown, so not sure what THAT was. And there was barely anything else in that dialogue box... I have a Dell machine, ME opsys, Intel 1.3 GHz, 512 Mhz RAM, 2 100 Gig HDDs... I shut down everything using msconfig/start to include all my Symantec functions and my ZoneAlarm. I had already uninstalled Nero 6 and cleaned it from my registry. And since I had cleaned the registry, I used Restore to go back to a time before the uninstall just to double check that aspect. Nero 6 CD/DVD Speed wouldn't even recognize Nero 7 CD to check the disc's reliability when I went back where I had Nero 6 available. I'm lost at this point - MUST be a bad spot or such on the CD. noels

Comment

• anonymez
        Super Moderator
        • Mar 2004

it certainly could be a problem with the CD, maybe try installing on another PC?

Comment

• noels
          • Sep 2005

anonymez: "...maybe try installing on another PC?""

anonymez, good idea - I do have a laptop I haven't used in months, so dug it out, hooked up to the power source and voila, proof that the CD is bad - it wouldn't load there either. I called Best Buy where I got it and they said they would exchange, so I'll do that today and try the new one tonight. Will let you know the outcome. Thanks for the good advice noels

Comment

• anonymez
            Super Moderator
            • Mar 2004

you're welcome

really uncommon to get a bad disc, but you should be glad it wasn't the PC!

Comment

• noels
              • Sep 2005

Smile of resolution

anonymez, I picked up a new Nero 7 at Best Buy in exchange for the old one, and had it completely installed 15 minutes after I started this afternoon!! So the problem was a bad disc, uncommon though that may be. For all of you out there contemplating Nero 7, they may have gone through a fast production to get it on the road, so this is a lesson - if it takes more than 2 minutes for the setup screen to appear, try it on a different computer and don't spend 3 hours trying to wish it into starting like I did ... All's well that ends well, and thanks again, anonymez. This forum rocks!! noels

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                Demigod of Digital Video
                • Nov 2004

that's some good detective work noels, glad it worked out for you. i'm still using nero 6.6.0.8, and i don't plan on doing anything to it untill something screws up
                "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
                Columbo moments...
                "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
                "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
                (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• jm1647
                  An Eagles Fan, A MenuShrinker
                  • Apr 2005

Originally Posted by noels
                  anonymez, I picked up a new Nero 7 at Best Buy in exchange for the old one, and had it completely installed 15 minutes after I started this afternoon!! So the problem was a bad disc, uncommon though that may be. For all of you out there contemplating Nero 7, they may have gone through a fast production to get it on the road, so this is a lesson - if it takes more than 2 minutes for the setup screen to appear, try it on a different computer and don't spend 3 hours trying to wish it into starting like I did ... All's well that ends well, and thanks again, anonymez. This forum rocks!! noels
                  @noels - Thanks for the heads up. I am 6.6.0.16 Ultra version since 8-4-05and waiting to see the cost of upgrading to Version 7. It looks like it has some nice features.

Comment

• noels
                    • Sep 2005

LT. Columbo, "i'm still using nero 6.6.0.8, and i don't plan on doing anything to it untill something screws up."
                    jm1647, "I am 6.6.0.16 Ultra version since 8-4-05..."

LT. Columbo, thanks for the nice comment. You may be with 6 for a long time, because I think it's pretty stable by now, so staying with it may be a good choice. I haven't really tried out the new version to any great extent yet so can't comment with any authority, but will exercise it when I return from vacation in early November. So far it doesn't look all that much different from 6, but time will tell. jm1647, I got mine at Best Buy, $99.99 with $30 off at the register (last week's special) and a $20 rebate from Nero yet to be received. So total will be $49.99. BTW, if you use color inks in a printer, any kind, Staples will give you $3.00 off any purchase if you bring them your old catridge... I've been throwing them away. Example, yesterday I bought a Canon color ink 3e catridge priced about 12.50 and ended up paying only 9.50 after taxes.

As to Nero prices, I've only seen the $20 rebate as an incentive to upgrade unless you just bought 6, then 7 is free. Keep watching the Sunday flyers, they really have some good deals at CompUSA, Staples, Office Depot and Best Buy. But they still don't sell Tayio Yudens noels

Comment

• jm1647
                      • Apr 2005

Originally Posted by noels
                      . jm1647, I got mine at Best Buy, $99.99 with $30 off at the register (last week's special) and a $20 rebate from Nero yet to be received. So total will be $49.99. BTW, if you use color inks in a printer, any kind, Staples will give you $3.00 off any purchase if you bring them your old catridge... I've been throwing them away. Example, yesterday I bought a Canon color ink 3e catridge priced about 12.50 and ended up paying only 9.50 after taxes.

As to Nero prices, I've only seen the $20 rebate as an incentive to upgrade unless you just bought 6, then 7 is free. Keep watching the Sunday flyers, they really have some good deals at CompUSA, Staples, Office Depot and Best Buy. But they still don't sell Tayio Yudens noels
                      @noels - yeah BR7 did the same thing. I had gotten the full version of 6 Ultra for $49.99 I think it was, when I upgraded from the OEM version that came with my burner. Nero 7 is free for anyone that bought 6 after 9-1-05. I'm just waiting to see how much Nero wants for the upgrade on their site. I won't get it for nothing but I submitted my serial number and am entitled to a discount according to an email I received from them. I also use my credit card cash back at Staples and get an extra $5.00 off an have a couple of ink cartridges ready to go empty.

By the Nero website if I remember right, there is among other new features a cataloging feature for media that sounds interesting.

Comment

• noels
                        • Sep 2005

jm1647, Good luck on your upgrade - I hope that Nero registration pays off. Also, thank you for the lead on media at Nero. I'll check it out. noels

Comment

• jm1647
                          • Apr 2005

@noels - Thanks - Here is a link to the new features. http://ww2.nero.com/nero7/enu/Nero_7..._Features.html

Comment

• noels
                            • Sep 2005

Neat link

Originally Posted by jm1647
                            @noels - Thanks - Here is a link to the new features. http://ww2.nero.com/nero7/enu/Nero_7..._Features.html
                            jm1647, that's a great section of the Nero site - I hadn't come across it before, thank you. I can't believe all the features Nero 7 has - it's almost too much to bear (grin). If I had time to use all those features, I wouldn't be doing anything else, and even though I'm an old retired duff, I really do leave my computer at some times during the day... noels

Comment

Working...