X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hajas
    • Apr 2005

Strange Behavior Converting VHS->DVD

Hello,

I'm converting all my old VHS to DVD since the begining of this year, passed for many problems and solved all of them, but this one is taking off my sleep!

I capture the VHS via my Geforce FX5600 video card using Vegas 3. I can do it very easy without problems, but ONLY in this particulary VHS I'm having this problem:

The AVI generated became out of sync Audio/Video, but not something like start first or later, simply is like "moving"... in some parts is perfect, and some parts are VERY BAD! and come back to perfection, and goes on... and BOTH (audio/video) have the same EXACTY lenght/time when I open the AVI in a editor.

yeah! is very weird!!!!

What I know the tape was coverted from the format used in Chile to Pal-M (the format here in Brasil). I can watch the tape perfectly on the TV, and on the computer in the preview of the recording, but the result of the recording is different I don't know why.

any clues???

thanks,
    Freddy
    www.hajas.org
  • moonrocks
    Gold Member
    Gold Member
    • Jul 2005

First thing I would try is to look for settings in your capture software to lock the audio and video. You might want to try to capture with VirtualVCR or VirtualDubMod. Both of those have the ability to lock audio and video. Also, both are freeware.

Download VirtualDubMod for free. VirtualDubMod is based on VirtualDub by Avery Lee. Born as a unification of several modifications, new features have been added including support for the matroska format.

"Det blåser også her." - Erik den røde

Comment

• hajas
      • Apr 2005

Thanks!

I'll try these two... I got nothing until now
      www.hajas.org

Comment

• hajas
        • Apr 2005

few questions...

I'm trying right now with Virtual VCR and seams very easy to use.

but the out of sync here is now different, the video pass fast and the audio remains right. so the video end very fast, so we got a black screen until the end of the audio.

I tryed to find a way to lock but I don't found it... I tryed the sync thing but doesn't work.

how can I lock this?

thanks again,
        Freddy
        www.hajas.org

Comment

• drfsupercenter
          NOT an online superstore
          • Oct 2005

Well, you COULD save the audio as a WAV with VirtualDub, then open the video in Ulead Video Studio (trial from www.ulead.com) and then slow the video down, and put the audio back on. If you do this, you would have to mute the video, as it would slow the audio down too.
          CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
          Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
          My DVD Collection

Comment

• hajas
            • Apr 2005

yeah, is possible to do that, but I will have a BIG work to mix/sync all the audio with video by hand! and you know that something that seams sync in the first 10mins, can't be the same at 20mins and goes on...

I still can't understand WHY record this tape different than other, aside appears really normal in the preview screen.
            www.hajas.org

Comment

• drfsupercenter
              NOT an online superstore
              • Oct 2005

Try Ulead to capture then. It is a great program.
              CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
              Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

• moonrocks
                Gold Member
                Gold Member
                • Jul 2005

Here's the settings I use in VirtualVCR and VirtualDub:

In VirtualVCR - Settings, AV sync, select "resample audio dynamically", this will let the audio be resampled to sync up with the video.

If Virtual VCR fails to sync it properly then in Virtualdub - Capture, Timing, select "resample audio data dynamically to match video clock"

Between the two programs I think VirtualDub is the best at keeping audio/video in sync.

Lots of times When a video has been converted from one format to another, in this case Chile (NTSC) to Brasil (PAL-M), then audio sync issues can be a major problem. Especially since you don't know how the conversion on this tape was done or if it was done in the best way.

As drfsupercenter suggested try Ulead. Also, some cards, the ATI ALL-In Wonder cards for example, have a specific capture setting for most of the video formats, including PAL-M. Check to see if your GeoForce card has that option. You may want to experiment with capturing with the PAL-M setting or standard NTSC to see if that helps with the sync problem.
                Last edited by moonrocks; 16 Nov 2005, 04:08 PM.

"Det blåser også her." - Erik den røde

Comment

• drfsupercenter
                  NOT an online superstore
                  • Oct 2005

Yes, what is most important is that you set the capture to whatever the tape is in. So if the tape is in PAL and you try to capture in NTSC, it will act weird.
                  CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
                  Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

• hajas
                    • Apr 2005

thanks for the help with VirtualVCR, I'll try with these setting when I arrive in home (at work right now).

I can only capture in PAL-M format, any other appears in B&W.

This tape was converted CHILE->USA->BRAZIL
                    so probally this is why happens all these problems.

I have Ulead too, aside I not tryed with this tape in that one.

thanks for all the help.
                    Freddy
                    www.hajas.org

Comment

Working...