Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mo24
    • Sep 2005

Anyone ever done this...

I have a bunch of movie files that i'd like to compress down as much as possible in order to save harddrive space, without taking a major hit in quality.

About half of them are encoded with DivX, and the other half are just listed as 'MPEG Video Decoder' as the codec.. which I guess means the standard MPEG2(right?)

First for the DivX ones, since the DivX files are MPEG4, I guess they are about as compressed as I can get using a codec like that. But would it be possible to decode them back to MPEG2 format, run them through a video encoder like HC Encoder to reduce the size a majorly with little quality loss, and then re-encode it back to DivX for a major size reduction? Has anyone ever tried that?

Secondly, for the regular MPEG2s, if I wanted to encode them as DivX, would I be able to do it straight from MPEG2 to DivX? Is there a major size reduction between MP2 and MP4 that would even make it worth the trouble?

Any advice is appreciated
  • tigerman8u
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Aug 2003

To go from mpeg 2 to mpeg 4 use Virtualdub mpeg2. Many ppl including myself prefer xvid over divx (both mpeg 4 encoders). IMO xvid is faster and gives better results. To see an mpeg 4 video comparison go to www.doom9.org. I would not convert the divx files to mpeg and back to an encoded divx. I would let them as they are.

Comment

Working...