X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TNT
    DVD Shrinker
    • Jan 2004

TMPGEnc DVD Author P, B Limitations

I use TMPGENC DVD Author for my home movies and am quite happy with it, but the one limitation I'm unhappy about is that you can only cut at an I-frame. Is there a way to get around this or is there a better program out there that will let you cut at a P or B frame? I would prefer something with a trial period or not too expensive.

Thanks!
    Beauty is in the eye of the Beer-Holder.
    I'm in shape. ROUND is a shape. - George Carlin

How to choose an HDTV, Step by Step
  • anonymez
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2004

'videoredo' is the best mpeg-2 cutting program i have ever seen. it is costly (comes with a 15-day fully functional trial period, you just have to email them for a temporary serial), but damn it is worth it, it is one of the best programs i have purchased in a very long time

i use it to cut/author all dvb/HD streams, it should take all forms of mpeg. its a quality product, i don't know of any other program that can scan mpeg-2 files for advertisments and cut them out automatically with extreme accuracy. its very fast too. the only bad thing i can say is the interface is ugly, but still quite functional

but, if you're looking for a free solution, you can cut with 'cuttermaran' or 'mpeg2schnitt', then load into tmpgenc dvd author
    Last edited by anonymez; 19 Nov 2005, 08:41 AM.
    "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• nwg
      Left *****
      • Jun 2003

Videoredo is excellent. I use Mpeg-VCR and Mpeg Video Wizard. I then put the results in TDA.

The pro version of TDA should now do frame level editing.

anonymez, have you got the version 2 of VideoRedo Plus? It looks quite different now.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
        Demigod of Digital Video
        • Nov 2004

this videoredo is ONLY for mpeg-2 streams? i like the ad blank feature you mentioned. i cant stand editing captures.
        "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
        Columbo moments...
        "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
        "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
        (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• nwg
          Left *****
          • Jun 2003

It will work with any mpeg 1 or 2 file including VOB files. It can also join files.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
            Demigod of Digital Video
            • Nov 2004

TDA can do this "cutting" too, by adding the same file to the same track and selecting start/end points in order to get rid of commercials, but i'm going to google this videoredo and perhaps try it out, life would be easier.

ty nwg.
            "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
            Columbo moments...
            "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."

Comment

• anonymez
              Super Moderator
              • Mar 2004

LT, i i recommend it very highly for you, you should definitely try it out, especially if you do a lot of capturing

i am very satisfied with my purchase

@nwg: yep, its up to 2.1 now, i only just bought it about a month ago
              Last edited by anonymez; 19 Nov 2005, 02:12 PM.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                Demigod of Digital Video
                • Nov 2004

yes i capture 1.5 -2 hrs of tv 5 days a week so i would definetly find it useful. i have 8 episodes of "cheers" on the pc that need the commercials taken out and i use tmpgenc to do it, but i'm encoding with it right now...see what i mean. naturally i'll go to the web site and do some reading, but how does it auto detect the commercials?
                Columbo moments...

Comment

• anonymez
                  Super Moderator
                  • Mar 2004

you 'train' it by selecting a few seconds of the video where the screen fades (like when it goes to or from a commercial). it then scans those few seconds. it detects and remembers the different shades/levels of black that occur during that fade. then you just enable it, it scans the video and puts markers where the ads end/begin. it works absolutely flawless for me at least 95% of the time

you do not have to train it each time

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                    Demigod of Digital Video
                    • Nov 2004

i see, pretty neat.
                    Columbo moments...

Comment

• TNT
                      DVD Shrinker
                      • Jan 2004

How much is this proggie?

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                        Demigod of Digital Video
                        • Nov 2004

Columbo moments...

Comment

• anonymez
                          Super Moderator
                          • Mar 2004

fitty bucks

20 if you're upgrading from videoredo 1 (its at version 2 now)

and for once, there is an australian branch of some good software

Comment

• TNT
                            DVD Shrinker
                            • Jan 2004

I'll take a look at it later. Too tired tonite.

Comment

• anonymez
                              Super Moderator
                              • Mar 2004

its quite a price to pay i agree, but for people like me who cut up & archive lots and lots of very large mpeg's, its really a godsend. otherwise i wouldn't even touch it at that price

Comment

Working...