Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mx_racer32
    • Dec 2005

...wow, need help

so ive been reading some sticky's that have been posted, and searching the site, ive got to say there is so much damn info on here its making my head hurt...haha.

anyways this is the deal. I got a digital camcorder for xmas last year from my sis, (samsung scd103) ive got lots of footage from various sports i participate and i would like to roll them all into one, add a killer soundtrack and possibly burn it to a dvd. Now, im familiar with computers, im on them everyday but im not smarty pants by any means. I feel like i need someone to answer some specifics.

When i put my video from the camcorder to the computer it is an .asf, im not sure if that has an affect on it or not but after the transfer, the frame rate(i think) seems really slow, like it looks like a bunch of still photos in sequence. its not a smooth video (kinda blocky), this makes for very crappy viewing.

what im curious about is #1, why is the frame rate so slow? what can i do to make it look more fluid like when i watch it on my tv from the camera? do i need software for this, is it my camera?

#2, i know that to make a video i need a video editing software, a lot of people that i have talked to suggested microsoft movie maker 2, but this is a microsoft XP program only, ive got microsoft 2000, what can\should i use? free is a great price but i will buy if necessary.

#3, i think i need to convert my asf files to mpeg or avi for the video editing, i downloaded the virtualdub 1.3 from divixdigest but coiuld not open it for some reason...any help?

these are probably very stupid questions but every time i seem to ask people questions they either just tell me "get this software" because they dont really know what they are doing (cough cough sales people at best buy) or they go into this long in depth description of things i may or may not need to know...

anyways any help is appreciated, ive been wanting to do this for a while now and would like to get things rolling in my pursuit to put together my own video, thanks!
  • mx_racer32
    • Dec 2005

20 views and no answers!

Comment

• LT. Columbo
      Demigod of Digital Video
      • Nov 2004

what was the problem opening vdub 1.3?
      "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
      Columbo moments...
      "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
      "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
      (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• blutach
        Not a god of digital video
        • Oct 2004

Originally Posted by mx_racer32
        20 views and no answers!
        Please don't bump your posts - read the forum rules please.

Regards
        Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
        [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

• anonymez
          Super Moderator
          • Mar 2004

mx_racer, what program are you capturing with? you need to do it losslessly, which i am sure you can, as i checked and your camera has a firewire port.

there is no need to encode to avi, just download a little free program called 'windv' from http://windv.mourek.cz

it will capture straight to avi, assuming you have a firewire port for your pc. (if not, buy a firewire pci card, they're very cheap AU $15)

follow this guide to do the job, its very easy anyway http://www.doom9.org/dv/guide_paragraph0.html

from then, you can encode to dvd anyway you wish. here's one way http://www.doom9.org/dv/guide.html
          "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• mx_racer32
            • Dec 2005

wow thanks anonymez, thats great. another newbie Q, firewire cable...i did some image searching on yahoo, im guessing that the round black port with 4 small holes and 2 sqaure\rectangle holes is my hookup on the camera?(its labled s-video on the port) if so, how do i know if the other end can connect to the pc? what am i looking for? unfortunatley my pc is very basic and im not too sure what im looking for...
            Last edited by mx_racer32; 5 Dec 2005, 02:48 PM.

Comment

• mx_racer32
              • Dec 2005

well i went to best buy today, just kinda asked the guys what i should do, gave them my info and told them my probs. they suggested the usb 2.0 instead of firewire, but i will have to install this "card". they said its easy, only goes in one way, it will get my the usb2.0 port so i can finally get this vid on pc with good qaulity.

is this what im looking for? someone suggested this to me

i installed a cd burner once on my old computer, long long ago. i figured i could "figure" this one out as well. if its a simple plug in deal, start the computer and thats it, no setting up or anything i should be able to handle it, if not best buy said they could install it for 40 bucks...what do you guys think?

Comment

• anonymez
                Super Moderator
                • Mar 2004

that seems a little pricey for what you're doing, and the $40 install is outrageous! (those b*stards!)

if your camcorder actually supports sending video to your pc through USB (mine only uses usb for still images, i need to use firewire for video. check the manual to see if it does), then go with usb. otherwise just buy a regular firewire pci card.

installation is easy, just firmly place it in the pci slot & screw in.

Comment

• mx_racer32
                  • Dec 2005

40.00 for install did surprise me, although that is what the geek sqaud people there at the store quoted me at, while the sales person urged me to install myself, explaining that it was very easy to do, im good with my hands and i do custom work on vehicles so im sure i can figure this one out. i just dont understand a lot of the lingo...but anyways i ordered this just a few minutes ago

i probably should of asked here before i ordered but i felt like this was a good route to go, so i could go either way i want and it seemed to be a good price. what do you think? it said plug and play, so i should just install it, start the pc up and i can go right to uploading my vids...i hope.

Comment

• anonymez
                    Super Moderator
                    • Mar 2004

that will do just fine. windows xp should be able to recognize it once you start up your pc

Comment

• mx_racer32
                      • Dec 2005

ive got windows 2000 but it says thats ok. i cant wait, thanks man, i dont think i could of figured out what i needed with out ya!

Comment

• anonymez
                        Super Moderator
                        • Mar 2004

no problem , let us know how it goes...

Comment

Working...