X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • davoy
    • Apr 2002

Divx VS vcd/svcd

Hi

For interests sake, which one do most ppl prefer? Which would give u better quality of picture etc... I've never tried to make vcd or svcd but am keen to give it ago, to check the difference out and all. I know vcd's are playable in dvd players so i guess thats the main choice for choosing that. Any comments, comparrisons welcome
    thx

davoy
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

You've essentially answered your own question. If you're not desirous of viewing the videos on your television, via a standalone DVD player, there's really no reason to consider creating VCDs or SVCDs. DivX-compressed .AVi files are substantially smaller (can typically fit on one CD-R), can be created at higher resolution, and can be readily created with a variety of audio formats.

Comment

• Enchanter
      Old member
      • Feb 2002

If you own a sub-300MHZ system, using VCDs wil give you a better playback performance too. My thoughts.

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

To Enchanter

"If you own a sub-300MHZ system, using VCDs wil give you a better playback performance too."

No reason to bother creating a VCD to play on a PC - simple "plain vanilla" MPEG1, as you know, uses the same basic format, but is far less restrictive regarding, resolution, bitrate, file format overhead, etc. ...

Comment

• johnbmx4christ
          • Nov 2001

the only other reason to make a MPEG2 file(not necessarily svcd, but maybe dvd format mpeg 2)..is for when us poorer people can buy dvd burners we can then just pull out our archives and burn.
          keeping in mind of course that power dvd (or other dvd software)is better to play this format with.
          i should just shut up..i seem to be confusing rather than helping..lol
          john boy

http://brightideasdigitalmedia.com

Comment

Working...