Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • abumalik
    • Jan 2006

Connect satellite to DVD recorder

I just got my self an LG DVD recorder (the RH7800). I connected the Video Out of my Sattlite set (Technosat IR7000) to Video In on the LG and Video out on LG to Video IN on the TV. Using my Sattelite remote control i can change channels, so that all OK. Howerer, I tried to get the LG to pickup the sattelite channels so that I can watch one prog and record another. I tried the Auto Search and manual search but no success. I hooked up the two via RF and used Auto Search on LG, the result was only the active channel on the sattelite set got picked up.

don't know what else to try!, any clues/tips??
  • bill7621
    It could be worse.
    • Jun 2005

Using the hook-up you describe, that's all you're going to be able to do. To watch one sat. program and record another, You'd need two satellite receivers hooked up. One to the TV and one to the LG. If you have other sources hooked to the LG, you should be able to record from one of those while you watch something else.
    Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed!

Comment

• jmet
      Super Moderator
      • Nov 2002

Does your TV have a "Monitor Out" or "Video Out"?

Comment

• abumalik
        • Jan 2006

Originally Posted by jmet
        Does your TV have a "Monitor Out" or "Video Out"?
        Yes it does , but how is that going to help.?

Comment

• jmet
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2002

Hook your satellite straight up to the TV and from the Video Out or Monitor Out go from there to your DVD recorder.

Comment

• bill7621
            It could be worse.
            • Jun 2005

I think he'd still be only able to record what he's watching with that hook up.

Comment

• abumalik
              • Jan 2006

Originally Posted by bill7621
              Using the hook-up you describe, that's all you're going to be able to do. To watch one sat. program and record another, You'd need two satellite receivers hooked up. One to the TV and one to the LG. If you have other sources hooked to the LG, you should be able to record from one of those while you watch something else.
              OK I suppose that what we call , in engineering, the poor boy method. But it still will not solve all my problem.

Let me clarify my objective abit : I want the DVD recorder Tuner to pickup the signal coming out of the sattelite receiver decoder set such that i can program it to record any program from any channel. The DVD recorder is said to be able to store 88 channels (as per the manual).

a friend last night told me that the DVD tuner is meant to pick up normal TV signal that comes from the antenna and that what comes out of the sattelite decoder is of a different catagorey of frequencies and can not be picked up.

I really hope he is wrong otherwise i wasted alot of money.
              Last edited by abumalik; 9 Jan 2006, 03:49 PM.

Comment

• jmet
                Super Moderator
                • Nov 2002

Oh ok, then use a 2 way splitter coming out of the Satellite, once side to the TV and the other to the DVD Recorder.

Using the method above, you will have to watch what it is recording. The only way to watch and record something different at the same time is to buy a additional receiver.

Comment

• bill7621
                  It could be worse.
                  • Jun 2005

I have a DVD Recorder/VCR Combo and that's pretty much the way it is with it also. I can watch off the air while I record off the satellite, or I can watch what I'm recording, or I could select another input(satellite receiver, dvdpalyer, vcr, etc.) if I had one hooked up. I don't think I can watch a tape while I'm recording a dvd (I never tried). But that's pretty much it.

Comment

• abumalik
                    • Jan 2006

Originally Posted by bill7621
                    I think he'd still be only able to record what he's watching with that hook up.
                    Indeed, that will yeild the same result i have now. The objective is the DVD tuner picks up the signal from the sattelite set and store them as channels that i can refer to when i setup my recording schedule.

Comment

• ed klein
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2004

You will be able to record on one channel and watch on another channel if you do the following connections:

The RF connection (coxial cable) run it from the satalite to the coxial input connection on the back of your TV.

Now run the three RCA type connectors audio left and right & video colors red, white, and yellow from the output of your DVD recorder to the input of your TV. Same connection as if you had only a DVD player.

This is what I have done on my setup and it works great. The only difference I have is that I have cable coxial input instead of satalite coxial cable input.

Comment

• tigerman8u
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        • Aug 2003

A satellite reciever will only output one channel unless it is a dual tuner reciever. Dish network has a dual tuner reciever model 625. A satellite operates at a different frequency (C-band 950-1450 mhz) and some c-band at 930-1430 mhz. Ku band operates at a hihger frequecy ( don't remember). This is why a tv splitter and a satellite splitter aren't usually interchangable.

Comment

• abumalik
                          • Jan 2006

Originally Posted by tigerman8u
                          A satellite reciever will only output one channel unless it is a dual tuner reciever. Dish network has a dual tuner reciever model 625. A satellite operates at a different frequency (C-band 950-1450 mhz) and some c-band at 930-1430 mhz. Ku band operates at a hihger frequecy ( don't remember). This is why a tv splitter and a satellite splitter aren't usually interchangable.
                          I am yet to try what Ed suggested above, away from home for 2 days. But what you are saying seems to offer a more reasonable diagonosis. Is this something i can do something about (i.e. buy a different decoder or change the parameters from some options menue) or does it depend on the service provider who transimts the signal, in which case I am shafted!.

many thanks to all who tried to help so far,

Comment

• tigerman8u
                            Lord of Digital Video
                            Lord of Digital Video
                            • Aug 2003

Think of a satellite signal like a digital cable signal. You get a digital converter box from the cable company that will proccess and output only one channel at a time. A satellite reciever will only proccess and output one channel at a time unless it has the circuitry/dual tuner to output 2 cnannels. Dish Network came out with the 6xxx series of recievers that has 2 tuners built into one reciever. On the back of the reciever you will see 2 outputs (1 for tv 1 and one for tv 2). You get 2 remotes, 1 an infrared for tv 1 and 1 uhf for tv2. Cable does have a new box called "Moxi" which allows you to record one channel while watching a different channel. Every channel whether on C-band or Ku-band is sent to the reciever from the satellite via a LNB (low noise block-downconverter). The LNB amplifies the satellite signal (collected from the dish) and converts it to a frequency recognized by the reciever. The reciever proccesses the signal and converts/outputs it to a frequency recognized by a tv/vcr/dvd recorder etc. Like wise you need an HD tuner to recieve/proccess/output an HD signal and a HD tv etc. to accept the HD signal. Hope this helps.

Comment

• Technophyle
                              • Mar 2005

What everyone is telling you is correct, you must have a satellite converter for each channel you want to use. Makes no difference if you want to record it or watch it. The only exception is the Dish Network boxes with dual tuners.

Comment

Working...