X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rayek
    • Jan 2006

Annoying double subtitles...

I need to get rid of one.

I'm using Media Player Classic and some program or codec is auto-loading the subtitles by default, but Media Player Classic is showing them, too. This is extremely annoying, and I have uninstalled several 3rd party subtitle utilities to try to get rid of this, and it's still showing up.

Things I have tried:
    Setting an override so Media Player Classic would not accept the sub info from a 3rd party program;

Uninstalling VobSub (as it has an auto-sub utility, and disabling it within the menus wasn't working)

Switching the subtitle format to .smi, .srt, .sub.

Nothing works. Please help me! This is extremely annoying. And I do not (DO NOT) want to keep the third party subtitle addons, I like my default subtitle style much better.
  • anonymez
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2004

try naming the subtitles differently to the video file. or disable mpc's subs by clicking play-->subtitles

if still nothing, right-click the video while playing, select 'filters' and list all shown. could be the decoder loading the subs
    "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• techreactor
      Banned
      • Jul 2005

Double subtitles............just remove the subtitle file for the ones not needed

Comment

• Rayek
        • Jan 2006

See, the thing is, is that it's cool that MPC auto loads the subtitles, they're nice, they don't clog up the video. But the ones that auto load with the other anonymous 3rd party program have the subtitles right in all the action. And no, they aren't burned onto the image, either.

I want to keep MPC's subs, as they are much sharper, clearer, and have a nice font, not to mention they are larger and usually rest in the black bar below most of my ripped DVDs.

Which decoder? I don't want to disable the MP4 decoder, as it is pretty useful for decoding MP4s , but otherwise, I'm not sure what else it is... I'll check.

Comment

• anonymez
          Super Moderator
          • Mar 2004

rayek, list all filters/codecs shown when you right-click-->filters. it might help

is this an avi file or mp4? if mp4, try moving the subs to another folder, then playing the file. could be they're already muxed into the mp4

Comment

• Rayek
            • Jan 2006

Okay, I went into the Mpeg4 decoder, and nothing under the subtitles page was enabled... it might be ffdshow...

Sorry, didn't see your post...

Okay, it's an .avi, XviD, and I know this isn't built in because I've been having the same problem with other movies with subtitles in the same folder, named the same as the movie file.

Listed is: Default Direct sound device; Video Mixing Renderer; Audio Switcher; ffdshow Mpeg 4 video decoder; and MatrixMeter. I tried to edit the settings of the mpeg4 decoder, but that was pointless, as no changes to the subtitle options made any difference in the 'bad' subtitles.
            Last edited by Rayek; 14 Jan 2006, 04:54 PM.

Comment

• Rayek
              • Jan 2006

Here's a pic of the thing that makes me angry>

The text on top is the one that I need to remove, the text nicely centered on the bar below is the MPC subtitle that I want to keep.

Does this look familiar? it's not ffdshow, either.

Comment

• anonymez
                Super Moderator
                • Mar 2004

what's "matrixmeter"? (google came up empty!). whatever it is, its not necessary and could be the cause. try uninstalling it, or blocking it via options-->overrides
                Last edited by anonymez; 14 Jan 2006, 07:38 PM.

Comment

• pieper
                  • Jan 2006

yeah the same thing is happening to me. when i play the dvd on my tv i do not want subtitles shown unless i choose to have them from the dvd's menu.

what should i do? when i watch the movies on my computer by opening the backup file off of my hard drive the subtitles are not there, but when i burn the file to a dvd they appear.

sorry guys but i am not really tech. oriented and need it explained to me in simple terms.

thanks for your time,
                  pieper

Comment

• p0ch0
                    • Jun 2006

Hello, you just have to go to WMP menu > Play> Subtitles > Disable
                    and thats it .

Greetz

Comment

• paglamon
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      • Aug 2005

I think that XVid avi is hardsubbed and also has a separate .srt file in the same folder.This might be the reason for double subs.So disabling subtitle should get rid of the external .srt sub.
                      sigpic

ONLY MOMENTS LINGER...DEWDROPS ON A FALLEN LEAF

Comment

• Jul 2007

Try this.

Right click -> Filters -> DirectVobSub -> Hide Subtitles.

It worked for me.

Comment

Working...