Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dolomite41
    • Jul 2003

Codecs

I just reformatted my hard drive on my laptop..could someone tell me all the codecs i need in order to play media files (mpeg1, mpeg2, avi, asf) it was working fine before, but had little problems with converting with TMPGE.....i know codecs can be tricky, i just want to get it right the first time so i dont have any problems..thanks

dolomite
  • Cambion7
    Digital Video Expert
    Digital Video Expert
    • Nov 2005

What codecs you need will depend on what media files you intend on playing. For the most part the default codecs will be enough. For those you don't have you can aquire codec packs for free that contain dozens of codecs. Or a more simple approach is to use Gspot and drag-n-drop your media files to this and it will tell you what codec is required, and if its installed correctly. I myself downloaded a codec pack with an alternative Real Player codec (since I don't quite like Real stuff). Just a matter of personal taste

Best Regards,
    Cambion7
    Like the info in these forums? Want to contribute? Click here to Register for Free!

"In space, nobody can hear you cha cha cha...."
    - Confidence

Comment

• dolomite41
      • Jul 2003

I used codec packs b4 and it was hell on my computer...i was always told not to use the codec packs and i want to not use them on my computer..any other methods...

Comment

• LT. Columbo
        Demigod of Digital Video
        • Nov 2004

i have divx, xvid, ac3 filter, vp6 etc. but i just installed the ones i need. anyway you may want to also look at anonymez's suggestions for typical media files on your pc.

Originally Posted by anonymez
        my list of what is needed regarding codecs/filters on any PC:

ffdshow - get it from http://ffdshow.sourceforge.net/tikiw...etting+ffdshow

nvidia purevideo codec (you can substitute windvd/powerdvd here) -for dvd's/mpeg-2 (i use dscaler instead, IMO it beats everything else)

real alternative - so you don't have to install 'realone player'

quicktime alternative - so you don't have to install quicktime

media player classic - extremely stable and fast media player. best player ever.

oggDS filter - directshow filter for ogm/ogg

windows media player 10 if you wish

that's it. install nothing else, especially codec packs
        "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
        Columbo moments...
        "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
        "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
        (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• anonymez
          Super Moderator
          • Mar 2004

i fully agree with the LT,

and would like to add that codec packs do more harm than good, stay away from them
          "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• tigerman8u
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • Aug 2003

IMO codec packs are a no no. Use Gspot as stated and install a codec only when/if it's needed

Comment

Working...