X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Talltimpw
    • Jan 2006

Why compress DVDs?!

Hi guys,

I was just wondering, if I don't need my 'backups' to be on a disk then I can just rip all DVDs to a HDD yes? Retaining original quality?

I mean, I got a 250gb usb drive for £50. That's enough to store 30 odd films!

I could use DL disks but thats not far off £60 of disks.

What do you think?
  • geno888
    Digital Video Master
    Digital Video Master
    • Dec 2005

How can you watch these movie on your TV if they are on a harddrive?

Comment

• LT. Columbo
      Demigod of Digital Video
      • Nov 2004

Originally Posted by Talltimpw
      Hi guys,

I was just wondering, if I don't need my 'backups' to be on a disk then I can just rip all DVDs to a HDD yes? Retaining original quality?
      sure. why not?
      "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
      Columbo moments...
      "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
      "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
      (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• Chizzmo
        Gold Member
        Gold Member
        • Nov 2005

you would be able to use a S-Video cable to connect it to your tv and watch them that way if your not into watching them on your tv. as long as you have to room it's all yours to do what you see fit to do with it.
        Chizzmo

Cheers

Comment

• nwg
          Left *****
          • Jun 2003

Originally Posted by Talltimpw
          Hi guys,

I mean, I got a 250gb usb drive for £50. That's enough to store 30 odd films!

where did you get a 250GB external hard disk for £50? The cheapest I have seen is aroumnd £90.

I have a 250 and filling up a 300GB with DVD's. They are in external enclosures.

Comment

• drfsupercenter
            NOT an online superstore
            • Oct 2005

I got a 160 GB HD for $50 from Micro Center, and they also had 100 GB for $30 (2 different times, and it's after a rebate)
            CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
            Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
            My DVD Collection

Comment

• nwg
              Left *****
              • Jun 2003

In the UK. A internal 80GB is about £40, 160GB is £55, 250GB is £75, 300GB £90, 400 is anywhere up to £200!!

Enclosures are about £20 to make them external.

Proper external drives are £65 for a 80GB, 160GB is 80. 250GB is around £100. Sometimes, a external 300GB is available a £100 such as from Amazon.co.uk. That is a bargain as they usually around £120-£150.

I have DVD's on a hard disk so I can play them through the computer to my projector. I get original quality and no discs to swap about.

Comment

• Jack Lurker
                Oh Bugger! It's bust again!
                • Jun 2005

I just added an external 250GB to my system and that cost me £88, I want one for £50!! Thats cheap! I also have 320GB internal as well and you would be surprised how quickly that gets filled up. There is no reason not to keep them on your HD if you wish,although I like to burn them as my PC is the other end of the house from my main TV and thats where I like to watch them.
                Jack

The best thing for trees is a bloody big axe! Works for stupidity too!!
                You have a problem? Search the forums, you 'aint the first person to have your problem thats for sure!!
                There's a bloke called Blutach here somewhere, check out his signature. Loads of useful info in it!

Comment

• tigerman8u
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  • Aug 2003

I think I'm gone to get a laptop with a dvd burner/reader and video out. This way I can watch most any video format anywhere I want to

Comment

Working...