Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pickledmidget
    • Feb 2006

i have a conversion question

hello, i am new here. i have a question about converting VOB files. here is my cituation.

i take lots of video with my sony vx2100. concert footage, Indy material, etc. when i read the raw footage into my computer i use vegas software. i have been using vegas for a long time. but when i cature footage or the whole tape it saves it as a raw AVI file. no problem. i then read it in and do my editing and use DVDit to design and brun my DVD's.

ok, with that said. i am editing some footage from a friend. she gave me 7 dvd's to edit. i read it in as VOB files. but vegas wont read VOB files. i have used WINMPG convert but the results are less than normal. i want to convert the VOB files to a raw AVI so i dont loose any quality.

does anyone out here know a way or some software that will do this for me.
  • celtic_druid
    Digital Video Expert
    Digital Video Expert
    • Dec 2005

You are sure that you usually use raw avi? Usually it would be DV. DV is not raw and it is not lossless. Still if you want to convert the VOB's to DV, you could use VirtualDubMod or VirtualDub MPEG-2. Just load, select a DV codec like ffdshow or Cedocida, set the audio to full processing and save.

If the VOB's contain AC3, then you need fccHandler's AC3 ACM codec. If you really want raw, then you can select no codec for raw RGB24. Since VirtualDub MPEG2 is based on a more uptodate VDub you should be able to output raw YV12 or YUY2. Since DVD is YV12 you can get half the size by using YV12 with no quality loss. Doubt Vegas processes in YV12 though.

Comment

Working...