Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • millie66
    • Feb 2006

WMV protected

I have a movie that had to be downloaded in several parts. When I tried to join the parts I always had error messages because the content is protected. Is there a way around this or what? Thanks for any help.
  • drfsupercenter
    NOT an online superstore
    • Oct 2005

Well assuming that the movie is NOT COPYRIGHTED and that you got it FROM A LEGAL SOURCE, you would need software to bypass the protection. Try Ulead Video Studio and see if it helps.
    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
    Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
    My DVD Collection

Comment

• anonymez
      Super Moderator
      • Mar 2004

drf, read and remember this: there is no way (at time of writing) to bypass MS's DRM. if by some miniscule chance it is bypassed, it will be dealt with, and the extremely talented person who came up with it will go to prison

millie66, your post is ambiguous-- we are not mind readers. state what type of files (sure they're not archives?), what procedure did you try, exact error messages, etc
      Last edited by anonymez; 22 Feb 2006, 01:49 PM.
      "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• drfsupercenter
        NOT an online superstore
        • Oct 2005

Wow, that's harsh. I know that DRM on audio can be bypassed on WMAs just by burning to a CD, but don't tell MS that! I mean, it's not illegal, as I am using Windows Media Player to burn AND rip, so it's their problem.

Now I have never seen a protected WMV file, so I can't help you there. Sorry for the misinfo! What movie exactly was this, and where did you get it?
        CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
        Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

• anonymez
          Super Moderator
          • Mar 2004

same situation for wma drm too-- it cannot be bypassed either (though it was briefly, iirc a few years ago). what you burned must have been non-drm wma's

Comment

• celtic_druid
            Digital Video Expert
            Digital Video Expert
            • Dec 2005

Whilst true that wmv DRM can't be bypassed, it can be removed. What I mean by that if you have the license, you can create a regular WMV file. Then no need to connect to a server, etc. to play it. Bypassing on the other hand would imply that it was possible to remove the DRM without a license.

I would assume that with DRM'ed WMA files you can let a user burn it or not.

Comment

• anonymez
              Super Moderator
              • Mar 2004

Whilst true that wmv DRM can't be bypassed, it can be removed
              sure can, but how many people who post about getting rid of drm actually have access to the license?

Comment

• drfsupercenter
                NOT an online superstore
                • Oct 2005

Yes actually that is what I meant - when I download WMA files from Wal-Mart Music Downloads, they are obviously DRM to keep it legal. I do have the liscence though since I paid for the song, so I can burn it to a CD and rerip as a nonprotected file.
                And yeah it won't let you without a liscence, as I tried to download a file on filesharing (that was a hard to find song) and it give me h*** about a liscence and wouldn't even play.
                CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
                Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

Working...