Backing up a DVD onto a Blu-ray & HD-DVD?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GooGoo
    • Jan 2006

Backing up a DVD onto a Blu-ray & HD-DVD?

When Blu-Ray or HD-DVD takes over, would I be able to backup all of my Star Trek DVDs onto it? I spent a bundle of cash on them and I have no intention of rebuying them again when they're eventually remastered and released for the new DVD format. So I was wondering if anyone think it would be possible if we would be able to copy our present DVDs onto a Blu-Ray or HD-DVD disc? I love the idea that I'll be able to fit 10 or 11 episodes on a disc.
  • nwg
    Left *****
    • Jun 2003

Recordable HD formats is a long way off so, you will have to wait a while. Also, there is no way what file structure they will have so converting may not be so easy.

Also, the equipment and discs will be very high in price to start with

Comment

• Furiousg
      If you have any poo....throw it now
      • Dec 2005

Also who is to say that either of the new formats succeed? It's hard to say if the mass will accept it anytime soon. Of course there will be many early adopters, but will it be enough to support the new industry.
      Many people are still just coming around to DVD's, and the actual number of home that have a TV capable of viewing HD data are still pretty low. Nevermind the number of those TV's that are HDCP compliant. Apparently there will be a new HDCP protocol that not all (if any) HDTV's will even support.

The storage on one of these discs is definately intriguing, but if sheer mass storage is the key to their success, it could be their fault also in that HVD is looming closer all the time.

PS..here is the article from IGN.com about the compliant copy protection issue

Copy Protection
      Last edited by Furiousg; 3 Mar 2006, 12:15 PM.
      -FuriousG-

Comment

• nwg
        Left *****
        • Jun 2003

Most people won't care about HD or even know about it. Unlike other countries, the UK is far behind in HD technology. No one broadcasts in HD yet and very few people have HD displays.

I am happy with DVD and will be watching DVD for many years (already done seven years). I will only upgrade when I have to and when it is cheap enough.

Comment

• Furiousg
          • Dec 2005

Exactly. I have an HDTV and an HD receiver, so I have logged enough hours with HD resolutions to notice that a well recorded DVD at 480P scaled to 720P will look quite close to a native 720 (or 1080i) signal. The difference just isn't great enough to warrant spending $1000 or more for an HD movie medium.

I am quite content with my DVD9 collection, and do not plan on "upgrading" for some time...like you said, " When I have to and when it is cheap enough "
          -FuriousG-

Comment

• NightTran
            King of Digital Video
            King of Digital Video
            • Aug 2005

I dont know if you can buy a bluray burner, my guess would be 800-1000
            sigpic

Comment

• Furiousg
              • Dec 2005

Nice guess NightTran ! ! Admin's post from another discussion

I am unsure as to the cost of Bluray media though, I can't imagine a 50GB recordable being very cheap.
              Last edited by Furiousg; 3 Mar 2006, 05:20 PM.
              -FuriousG-

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                Demigod of Digital Video
                • Nov 2004

800-1000? lol. that'd be the day i would spend that kina dough on a burner. i didn't even spend that much on my car. like nwg says dvd all the way for me---doubt i'll ever be switching.
                "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
                Columbo moments...
                "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
                "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
                (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• nwg
                  Left *****
                  • Jun 2003

Even when I do switch. I will not be upgrading any DVD to HD format (except perhaps the LOTR DVD's). I know people who have stopped buying DVD's because they intend to get into HD. That is just plain mad. I don't up scale DVD's at the moment but, I will be prepared to use a backward compatible HD player to up scale SD DVD's and buy new films in HD. I can see that being many, many years away. I will also not even look at HD until either both are successful or only one HD format is left.

Comment

• Furiousg
                    • Dec 2005

I agree with that too. No sense investing a lump of money into, say, Bluray, and then having HD-DVD become the dominant format and lose all support for Bluray. I definately think it is smart to wait. And who knows, maybe there will be a newer media being released in the next few years that will top them.
                    -FuriousG-

Comment

• nwg
                      Left *****
                      • Jun 2003

Originally Posted by Furiousg
                      . And who knows, maybe there will be a newer media being released in the next few years that will top them.
                      Already is. Holographic Discs are being developed up to 200GB! It is known as HVD.

Comment

• Furiousg
                        • Dec 2005

I had heard about the HVD, but I hadn't found much to read about it thanks .
                        Wow, 1Gbps transfer speeds...thats insane ! Also kinda funny that I have two harddrives only totalling 120GB...and 1 recordable HVD is 200GB LOL.
                        And I suppose this is only the first revision, likely they will reach 500Gb, maybe more before they expend the limitations of the media.

Thanks for the link!
                        -FuriousG-

Comment

• nwg
                          Left *****
                          • Jun 2003

Some more.

They have developed the H-ROM.

Comment

• Furiousg
                            • Dec 2005

Cool...although all this new technology makes my credit card cry

I also found a review of Toshiba's HD A1 at Cnet....intro at $499 ! !
                            Last edited by Furiousg; 4 Mar 2006, 04:16 AM.
                            -FuriousG-

Comment

• nwg
                              Left *****
                              • Jun 2003

I thought that would be more. When these sort of things come over to the UK they end up as $1 equals £1. So, I would expect that to be at least £499. The first DVD player in the UK (which was a Panasonic) was £800 !!

Comment

Working...