Backing up a DVD onto a Blu-ray & HD-DVD?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LT. Columbo
    Demigod of Digital Video
    • Nov 2004

they still have VCR's priced higher than dvd playersover there nwg? is here---why the hell is that?
    "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
    Columbo moments...
    "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
    "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
    (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• Furiousg
      If you have any poo....throw it now
      • Dec 2005

Takes a lot more technolgy (Cost-wise) to make a decent head for a VCR. Obviously there are far more advanced components in a DVD player, but they are much cheaper to make. I mean, it is much easier to make a decent DVD player at a low cost, as opposed to a VCR.
      -FuriousG-

Comment

• nwg
        Left *****
        • Jun 2003

Originally Posted by LT. Columbo
        they still have VCR's priced higher than dvd playersover there nwg? is here---why the hell is that?
        Yep.

It is possible to buy a DVD player for £20. I saw a DVD Recorder the other day for just £50. Most cheap DVD Recorders are £50 to £100. A new Stereo sound VCR will cost at least £50 and a mono VCR will still be at least £30.

Comment

• Furiousg
          • Dec 2005

LT, nwg...do either of you use a vcr anymore?? I don't even have any vhs tapes in my cabinet anymore. I use the Sony DVD recorder I got with my tv for any shows I want to record. I think I still have one vcr upstairs as a base for a spare tv
          -FuriousG-

Comment

• nwg
            Left *****
            • Jun 2003

I haven't used my VCR for over two years now. I got two DVD Recorders now.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
              Demigod of Digital Video
              • Nov 2004

Originally Posted by Furiousg
              LT, nwg...do either of you use a vcr anymore?? I don't even have any vhs tapes in my cabinet anymore. I use the Sony DVD recorder I got with my tv for any shows I want to record. I think I still have one vcr upstairs as a base for a spare tv
              my vcr is in the bush where it belongs. just a few weeks ago i through out the remaining 20-30 tapes i had---good riddance!
              "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
              Columbo moments...
              "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
              "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
              (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• Furiousg
                • Dec 2005

LOL

Make it into a Chia pet
                -FuriousG-

Comment

• GooGoo
                  • Jan 2006

Originally Posted by nwg
                  Already is. Holographic Discs are being developed up to 200GB! It is known as HVD.

http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/11322

"They are saying once again, that this method will ultimately allow consumers to store 200 movies on one disc."

HOLY CRAP!

Originally Posted by nwg
                  It is possible to buy a DVD player for £20. I saw a DVD Recorder the other day for just £50. Most cheap DVD Recorders are £50 to £100. A new Stereo sound VCR will cost at least £50 and a mono VCR will still be at least £30.
                  There was an ad in the paper recently that advertised a polaroid DVD player being sold for $25 (it was being sold at a supermarket)! That's about $5 more than a single DVD Movie!

Comment

• Furiousg
                    • Dec 2005

Quite incredible when we remember the cost of a entry level player when DVD launched. I could have purchased a small home for the same $$
                    -FuriousG-

Comment

• nwg
                      Left *****
                      • Jun 2003

Originally Posted by GooGoo
                      There was an ad in the paper recently that advertised a polaroid DVD player being sold for $25 (it was being sold at a supermarket)! That's about $5 more than a single DVD Movie!
                      It is the same here. A new DVD will cost £15-£20 (usually £20).

Comment

• Zero G
                        Next to Arch Stanton
                        • Jan 2006

They are definitely cheap, but cheap does mean cheap. Total throw aways when they act up.
                        "Wanted in 14 counties of this state. The condemned is found guilty of the crimes of murder, armed robbery of citizens, state banks and post offices, the theft of sacred objects, arson in a state prison, purgery, bigamy, deserting his wife and children, inciting prostitution, kidnapping, extortion, receiving stolen goods, selling stolen goods, passing counterfeit money, and contrary to the laws of this state, the condemned is guilty of using marked cards...therefore according to the powers vested in us, we sentence the accused here before us Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Ramirez also known as the Rat and any other aliases he may have to hang by the neck until dead."

Comment

• Furiousg
                          • Dec 2005

But for the cost, why not just pick up a new one ! No worry about having to deal with warranty or customer service. Run down to the gas station and grab a 6-pack, newspaper, and a new DVD player
                          -FuriousG-

Comment

• nwg
                            Left *****
                            • Jun 2003

My local Blockbusters was giving away a player. All that was required was to pay for 10 DVD rentals up front (£39.99). You would get a pass that would be needed to rent the DVD's out and could take up to a year to get all 10.

Comment

• Gary D
                              Lord of Digital Video
                              Lord of Digital Video
                              • Dec 2005

Last Christmas Boxing Day (2005), Walmart was selling DVD players for about $27.00 Canadian ($22.00 US). I bought one for the kids to use (and destroy).

If I get one year out of it, it is worth every penny.
                              Gary D

Comment

• Furiousg
                                • Dec 2005

Originally Posted by GD8ck
                                Last Christmas Boxing Day (2005), Walmart was selling DVD players for about $27.00 Canadian
                                Yes, my parents grabbed a pair of them at that sale, one for themselves and one for my bro. Even if it lasted you a month it would be worth $30. Plus it is cheaper than buying a standalone CD player for a rec room or whatever.
                                -FuriousG-

Comment

Working...