X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zackk
    • Apr 2004

VHS to DVD...Query

Hi all

I am about to put my old life (all 28 yrs of it LOL) to Digital, and I have a few questions that need answering....UK PAL SCART

My Camcorder....PANASONIC NV-GS200EB 3CCD PAL

My VHS Recorder....GOODMANS VN9500S PAL

My Cable.....SCART TO S-VIDEO

(A) Does it matter what type of VHS recorder I use...i mean will a Toshiba VCR give better play quality (to camcorder) than a Goodmans VCR...and should I clean the heads of my VCR

(B) Will I get a better ANALOGUE TO DIGITAL conversion with a 3CCD camcorder than compared to a single CCD camcorder

(C) should I save at 720 x 576....WILL IT MAKE A DIFFERENCE as its going to be viewed on a HD LCD...but because its VHS should i not bother

(D) I have heard of people using a PASS-THRU..so that you are not limited to using the 1 hour tapes....What is it....is it available for my camcorder

(E) Is the Scart to Svideo...the best way to capture from VHS to Camcorder

Thanks

zack
  • atifsh
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • May 2003

Originally Posted by zackk
    Hi all

(A) Does it matter what type of VHS recorder I use...i mean will a Toshiba VCR give better play quality (to camcorder) than a Goodmans VCR...and should I clean the heads of my VCR
    i donno bout goodmans VCR, but a better player will sure give better result, yes if u havnt cleaned it for some time it will be a good idea to do so.

(B) Will I get a better ANALOGUE TO DIGITAL conversion with a 3CCD camcorder than compared to a single CCD camcorder
    No in case of 3ccd to 1 ccd, but some camcoders will do better then others.

(C) should I save at 720 x 576....WILL IT MAKE A DIFFERENCE as its going to be viewed on a HD LCD...but because its VHS should i not bother
    as far i know, it wont make a difference as ur getting ur video from VHS.
    others may tell u better .

(D) I have heard of people using a PASS-THRU..so that you are not limited to using the 1 hour tapes....What is it....is it available for my camcorder
    pass through means ur camcoder will pass the video to computer from analog input[ur vcr].
    are U thinking of recording on to ur dv tape from vcr ?, not all camcoders allow that.
    i think u should not do this, unless ur camera do some wonders while recording to dv tape. pass through is better, almost all cameras do it.

(E) Is the Scart to Svideo...the best way to capture from VHS to Camcorder
    yes it is, i have yet to see a vcr with component outputs
    Seems like as soon you buy somehing, v. 2 comes out 1.5 times as fast!..!

Comment

• zackk
      • Apr 2004

[QUOTE pass through means ur camcoder will pass the video to computer from analog input(ur vcr).
      are U thinking of recording on to ur dv tape from vcr ?, not all camcoders allow that.
      i think u should not do this, unless ur camera do some wonders while recording to dv tape. pass through is better, almost all cameras do it.QUOTE]

Where Can I buy such a product for my Panasonic 3CCD Camcorder in UK....does it have a special name...or do I just ask at the store for a 'Analogue to digital pass thru converter

Comment

• atifsh
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • May 2003

Where Can I buy such a product for my Panasonic 3CCD Camcorder in UK....does it have a special name...or do I just ask at the store for a 'Analogue to digital pass thru converter
        no u dont, 99.9% it will pass through ur video frm vcr to ur capturing card.

just use the cable to connect ur camera to ur vcr, it could be S-video, or simple A/V cable. read ur camera's manual.
        Seems like as soon you buy somehing, v. 2 comes out 1.5 times as fast!..!

Comment

Working...