Best video card for DVD playback on PC monitor?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • a529612
    Gold Member
    Gold Member
    • Feb 2006

Best video card for DVD playback on PC monitor?

I'm currently using Matrox G400 Max vid card. Everything in 2D looks great and with razor sharp text. Is it good enough for high quality DVD playback on my PC monitor and there's room for improvment if I upgrade to something else? Thanks!
  • chickeneater
    Digital Video Expert
    Digital Video Expert
    • Apr 2002

I don't know much about Matrox cards, but if it is at least 8 MB, you should be fine playing DVDs. The video card is hardly a limiting factor for dvd playback; DVDs depend more on the cpu and ram to relay information (video and sound) from the dvd -> cpu -> ram -> video card (not to "render" the data, but to act as a transport/buffer for displaying the video) -> monitor.

The only limiting factor for a video card that I can think of is the capability for different resolutions, which is shouldn't be a problem. Cards under 8 MB video ram can be sluggish because they don't have the buffering capacity to transport video fast enough; you might notice skipping, lagging, crashing, etc...
    FFDShow filters
    Guliverkli's Media Player Classic

Comment

• anonymez
      Super Moderator
      • Mar 2004

ATI's new X1xxx line beats nvidia's wrt picture quality, denoise, deinterlacing, etc. a low-end x1300 will be enough, and will assist in h264 playback. should also do spatial HD deinterlacing, always a plus.

nvidia 6600GT is excellent as well.
      "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

Working...