Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bawdee
    • Nov 2004

Question

First off, I'm not sure exactly where to post this, so to the mods, I'm sorry.

Does anyone know how to capture video from a blocked VHS? I want to backup my original Star Wars triology to dvd, but when I connected my VCR to my CPU via my camcorder, the feed ended up being scrambled as soon as I hit record. I tried using Nero's video capture. Is there any products/methods out there that would let me do this?
  • nwg
    Left *****
    • Jun 2003

You are experiencing Macrovsion. It can be removed using a device.

It would probably be cheaper and definitely easier to buy the proper DVD's.

Comment

• Cambion7
      Digital Video Expert
      Digital Video Expert
      • Nov 2005

You will need to get a video stabalizer because these have macrovision.

I've tried backing up some of my VHS Red Dwarf stuff that I purchased from a video store, but my DVR observes the copyright bit-setting, and I was prevented from doing so.

Best bet would be to go from VCR to the stabalizer then to a capture device that will save the video to the hard disk. Then use something like TmpgEnc DVD Author to make it into a DVD.

@nwg - your fast! Can't give you greens until I spread it around some more.

Regards,
      Cam
      Like the info in these forums? Want to contribute? Click here to Register for Free!

"In space, nobody can hear you cha cha cha...."
      - Confidence

Comment

• bawdee
        • Nov 2004

Wow! That was fast.

The $96 for a device that I would only use to copy three movies definitely isn't worth. F that. I'll just pick up copies on ebay and save me the agrivation.

Thanks for answering...

Comment

• nwg
          Left *****
          • Jun 2003

This guide may be of use as well. There is also video capture cards that maybe of interest.

Part one of our guide on video capture using the Hauppauge WinTV-dbx (401) …

Originally Posted by Cambion7
          @nwg - your fast! Can't give you greens until I spread it around some more.
          I would have been quicker if I hadn't exited the browser due to stuck mouse button.

Comment

• nwg
            Left *****
            • Jun 2003

Originally Posted by bawdee
            Wow! That was fast.

The $96 for a device that I would only use to copy three movies definitely isn't worth. F that. I'll just pick up copies on ebay and save me the agrivation.

Thanks for answering...
            There shoud be cheaper ones. That was just an example to look for. I have seen them as low as $30.

Comment

Working...