X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kvon
    • Dec 2005

bitrate: general question & PowerDirector

From a newbie, first a general question about bitrate:
    Can anyone tell me the relationship between bitrate, fps, resolution etc? I understand that conceptually, if you increase the bitrate in a production, you increase the amount of data which translates to greater resolution (I think). What I don't get is this: If you determine or set a value for frames/sec and resolution, doesn't that determine what the bitrate will be? doesn't one define the other? Is it possible to set the bitrate independently from fps & resolution?

Secondly, can anyone tell me about bitrate & resolution settings in PowerDirector (5.0 Deluxe)? This program has a "production" mode, which seems to be for creating file output for streaming etc, and a "create disc" mode, for burning DVDs. The only resolution settings I've found in the create disc mode is SP, LP & HQ. Burned one at the HQ setting and it looks pretty marginal. Can't find a way to jack up the resolution in "Create Disc" mode.

Thanks!
  • drfsupercenter
    NOT an online superstore
    • Oct 2005

Yes it is possible for the first part. Resolution is how big the video is pixelwise. Say you pick 640x480, you could then set the framerate to NTSC 29.97fps and the still be able to change the bitrate.
    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
    Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
    My DVD Collection

Comment

• kvon
      • Dec 2005

Thanks, I hear what you're saying but can you tell me how that is?!
      I mean, a resolution of 640x480 (or whatever) defines x number of pixels per frame. A framerate of (pick a number) combined with the pixels/frame defined by your resolution defines x number of pixels per second. Doesn't that inherently define the bitrate? How can you change the bitrate without affecting the pixel dimensions (resolution) and/or the framerate?

Comment

• paglamon
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Aug 2005

Secondly, can anyone tell me about bitrate & resolution settings in PowerDirector (5.0 Deluxe)? This program has a "production" mode, which seems to be for creating file output for streaming etc, and a "create disc" mode, for burning DVDs. The only resolution settings I've found in the create disc mode is SP, LP & HQ. Burned one at the HQ setting and it looks pretty marginal. Can't find a way to jack up the resolution in "Create Disc" mode.
        No,u cannot alter the settings in Create Disc mode.But u can do one thing.In the PRODUCE mode u can create mpeg2 files where choosing a Custom Profile u can manipulate ur bitrate,resolution etc.Then u can author this mpeg2 file to a DVD in any authoring software.
        sigpic

ONLY MOMENTS LINGER...DEWDROPS ON A FALLEN LEAF

Comment

• kvon
          • Dec 2005

Thanks paglamon, that makes sense, 1 question though: In that process of producing an MPEG & authoring it to DVD how to you handle the menu & title pages?

Comment

Working...