retail dvd widescreen, top/bottom image cut off?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chance_
    • Nov 2005

retail dvd widescreen, top/bottom image cut off?

just curious do retail widescreen dvds have bottom and top of the movie cut off like if you had a 4:3 movie and cropped it so black bars appear on bottom/top of movie cutting the image off? cause i burn my 4:3's to 16:9 aspect instead of cropping so i don't lose any of the movie. it does come up a bit squashy/skinny but i think i'd rather that than having half the movie cut off. i might miss things if it's cropped right? just wondering if retail dvds in widescreen crop or make the film in 16:9 aspect.
  • Zero G
    Next to Arch Stanton
    • Jan 2006

If the original was 4:3 you are not going to be able to recover what the pan and scan chopped out. It's just a squished 4:3 and nothing more.
    Last edited by Zero G; 23 Mar 2006, 07:21 AM.
    "Wanted in 14 counties of this state. The condemned is found guilty of the crimes of murder, armed robbery of citizens, state banks and post offices, the theft of sacred objects, arson in a state prison, purgery, bigamy, deserting his wife and children, inciting prostitution, kidnapping, extortion, receiving stolen goods, selling stolen goods, passing counterfeit money, and contrary to the laws of this state, the condemned is guilty of using marked cards...therefore according to the powers vested in us, we sentence the accused here before us Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Ramirez also known as the Rat and any other aliases he may have to hang by the neck until dead."

Comment

• Cambion7
      Digital Video Expert
      Digital Video Expert
      • Nov 2005

To go with what ZeroG said, you will see a disclaimer just before the movie starts that says something to the effect that "this movie has been modified from it's original format. It's been formatted to fit this screen". If you see this it means Pan and Scan... the outer edges were removed.

Regards,
      Cam
      Like the info in these forums? Want to contribute? Click here to Register for Free!

"In space, nobody can hear you cha cha cha...."
      - Confidence

Comment

• chance_
        • Nov 2005

okay, that's good to know. but...

1. do they make films in the 16:9 aspect or 4:3 aspect and THEN crop the bottom/top of the movie (black bars) making it widescreen?
        2. what is recommended. cropping a 4:3 movie (no thin/skinny image) or 16:9 aspect (cutting off top and bottom of the movie - thin/skinny image)?

Comment

• Zero G
          Next to Arch Stanton
          • Jan 2006

Read about aspect ratios here.
          "Wanted in 14 counties of this state. The condemned is found guilty of the crimes of murder, armed robbery of citizens, state banks and post offices, the theft of sacred objects, arson in a state prison, purgery, bigamy, deserting his wife and children, inciting prostitution, kidnapping, extortion, receiving stolen goods, selling stolen goods, passing counterfeit money, and contrary to the laws of this state, the condemned is guilty of using marked cards...therefore according to the powers vested in us, we sentence the accused here before us Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Ramirez also known as the Rat and any other aliases he may have to hang by the neck until dead."

Comment

• chance_
            • Nov 2005

bro i know what aspect ratio is, christ. i'm just asking for opinions here.

Comment

• drfsupercenter
              NOT an online superstore
              • Oct 2005

MOST movies are filmed in 16x9 so 4x3 sucks and cuts sides off. 16x9 is normal. But SOME movies are reverse.
              CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
              Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
              My DVD Collection

Comment

• chance_
                • Nov 2005

hmm, seems there's no way to make an original 4:3 a proper 16:9 aspect (get the skinny/thin squashed image - better than cropping a 4:3 and losing top/bottom part of the movie right?). i even tried it the other way around. same thing, only the image is squashed from the sides to make the 16:9 look 4:3.

Comment

• Zero G
                  Next to Arch Stanton
                  • Jan 2006

Originally Posted by chance_
                  bro i know what aspect ratio is, christ. i'm just asking for opinions here.
                  If you read the link, you would know how they go about making the movies!

Comment

Working...