Which table top DVD burner to buy for VHS?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Definca
    • Mar 2006

Which table top DVD burner to buy for VHS?

Just bought a Sony RDR-VX515 this eve at Fry's $349 only to find out after burning a DVD from one of my VHS tapes that the DVD will not play on my IBM laptop DVD rom or my Desktop with Pioneer A06 burner/ player.
    Apparently Sony decided that all of the converted VHS to DVDs you make should only be viewed on their machine. What a JOKE! This is the case even if I use the S-video input to make a DVD from my Sony camcorder of home movies, cant view em on pc or laptop dvd rom.

Question: Which table top burners allow you to make DVD -R DVDs that can be watched on your computers and saved there as well. My understanding is the easy way to convert your VHS to DVD is use your VCR directly to a stand alone burner.

BTW the sony VHS to DVD interface is low quality as far as all the reviews go. Much better with Lite on or Pana.

Please Help!

Thanks,
    Doug
  • nwg
    Left *****
    • Jun 2003

Originally Posted by Definca
    Apparently Sony decided that all of the converted VHS to DVDs you make should only be viewed on their machine. What a JOKE!
    Are you sure about that? It sounds very unlikely to me.

Did you finalise it? It if isn't finalised then that would mean the disc can only be played on the Sony. The disc has to be finalised to be able to be used on other equipment.

If you did finalise it. It is more likely that your DVD ROM drive doesn't like the discs. Have you used those discs before with the DVD ROM drive?

I personally like Panasonic DVD Recorders.

Comment

• Definca
      • Mar 2006

Yes, disc was finalized

I dont seem to be the only person who has found this.
      Actually the disc will load but will not play properly it jumps to chapter 6 and will not offer to play any other chapters. On the sony it loads and plays.

Gonna return it anyway as the dub quality from vhs to dvd is not very good. I think a cheap dvd recorder stand alone and use my svhs deck svideo output as a feed.

Doug

Comment

Working...