Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wotan2525
    • Mar 2006

6600GT Video quality is awful/Shimmering

I have a 6600GT and ever since I've gotten it the overlay video quality has been just awful. The edges seem to wiggle/crawl/squirm/shimmer even when the video is paused. I've tried all the codecs I could find, but I mostly use FFDSHOW. With the latest PUREVIDEO DVD Drivers, DVD playback is goood -- but avi playback BLOWS.

I'm running it with a Samsung 213T LCD at 1600 x 1200 and the video looks the same in Zplayer and WMedia. I've tried adjusting the refresh rate up to 80hz and it didn't make a difference. I have the latest video and monitor drivers.

Any ideas what else I should try?
  • futurex
    Outlaw Ridah
    • Mar 2005

your sure it didnt look this bad with your previous card? one of the drawbacks of a nice big hi res display is your mpeg4 and dvds dont look good anymore.

the shimmering/wiggle etc effect sounds like your either trying to deinterlace a progressive source or just applying too much post processing. make sure you have the latest ffdshow http://ffdshow.sourceforge.net/tikiw...etting+ffdshow
    and disable all processing.

also try VLC player
    Futurex

Comment

• wotan2525
      • Mar 2006

I had that thought -- but the problem is that I even see the shakes/wiggles when the video is paused. This leads me to believe it is more of an overlay/driver problem.

Just installed the latest ffdshow and it didn't make a differnce. VLC player actually exagerates the effect -- it looks even worse!

Comment

• futurex
        Outlaw Ridah
        • Mar 2005

post a screenshot of the video?
        Futurex

Comment

• wotan2525
          • Mar 2006

Ok -- how can I do that -- I only get a black screen, it doesn't cap the overlay.

Comment

• futurex
            Outlaw Ridah
            • Mar 2005

go into media player options, enable VMR, then you should be able to take a screenshot
            Futurex

Comment

• wotan2525
              • Mar 2006

Hrmph --- I can't find any VMR options! More frustration.....

Comment

• futurex
                Outlaw Ridah
                • Mar 2005

easier way: open file in media player classic. pause video. click "file", then "save image". open the image in paint (or similar) and save as jpg. post here
                Futurex

Comment

• wotan2525
                  • Mar 2006

Figured out how to do it but the screen cap looks great. Sure enough though the video quality still has wavy or sparkly edges but it just doesn't show up when I save a frame from MPClassic or Zplayer.

Comment

• futurex
                    Outlaw Ridah
                    • Mar 2005

the problem is that I even see the shakes/wiggles when the video is paused
                    damn, how did i miss that?

i think it could be either the display (does this happen during 3d games, for example?) or the graphics card drivers. was your previous card an nvidia? uninstall and reinstall with this method http://www.overclock.net/faqs/12466-...ing-guide.html

you could also try the card in another pc, could be a defective card.
                    Futurex

Comment

• wotan2525
                      • Mar 2006

Well I played with the rendering settings and changed it to VMR9 and now it works great. Don't know how I missed that before in the zplayer settings.

Comment

Working...