X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tomestokes
    • Mar 2006

Podcast m4a compression

Aloha folks

I am new to the forum and have looked over some of your topics.

I am the producer of the Hawaii Surf Session Report, the original surf podcast: http://www.surfsessionreport.com/

I have a question about podcasting compressions.

Currently my files are made in Final Cut Pro.
    I export via Quicktime Conversion using the default iPod conversion settings.
    The resulting file is huge, 3x the size of a regular medium size 340x280 file.

Can anyone share with me a way to compress my shows, so that they are are not so large in file (mb) size.

Thank You Very Much.
    Tom e Stokes
  • celtic_druid
    Digital Video Expert
    Digital Video Expert
    • Dec 2005

Well size is just bitrate * length. So if you want your shows to be smaller, you either need to make your shows shorter or use a lower bitrate. QuickTime's aac encoder is good, but their MPEG-4 and AVC codecs are bad. Problem is that if you are going for iPod compatibility you are stuck with simple profile MPEG-4 or mainline profile AVC. Now normally AVC would be more efficient, but that is comparing ASP MPEG-4 to HP AVC.

Also for the audio you are limited to LC aac only when he-aac or he/ps-aac is better for really low bitrates.

Comment

• tomestokes
      • Mar 2006

Great answer

Originally Posted by celtic_druid
      Well size is just bitrate * length. So if you want your shows to be smaller, you either need to make your shows shorter or use a lower bitrate. QuickTime's aac encoder is good, but their MPEG-4 and AVC codecs are bad. Problem is that if you are going for iPod compatibility you are stuck with simple profile MPEG-4 or mainline profile AVC. Now normally AVC would be more efficient, but that is comparing ASP MPEG-4 to HP AVC.

Also for the audio you are limited to LC aac only when he-aac or he/ps-aac is better for really low bitrates.
      Holy Cow, you gave me a nice percise answer. (pardon the rhyme)
      Thank you Very Much.

Tom

Comment

Working...