Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kez5
    • Apr 2006

S-Video Help

Hey. I have a few films on my laptop, and instead of putting them onto DVD I want to play them straight from my laptop onto my DVD player. Apparantly this can be done using an S-Video cable. My laptop (Acer Aspire 1690) and DVD player have an S-Video output/input so I went and brought the cable. But I'm having a few problems. I can get the sound from the film I played coming out of the TV, but no picture. Is there another cable I need to buy to get the picture onto the TV. I'm also running the film through my DIVX player. Are there any settings that need to be changed in the DIVX player in order for the film to show up on the TV?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Kind regards,
    -Alex.
  • futurex
    Outlaw Ridah
    • Mar 2005

you need to go to your video card settings and make the tv the primary display
    Futurex

Comment

• kez5
      • Apr 2006

thank you very much for the reply!

Just one thing i'm afraid...

How do I change the settings in my video card? Will it be in the settings in control panel? I'm not too sure where to find the settings for my video card...

Thank you again for the help!

Comment

• futurex
        Outlaw Ridah
        • Mar 2005

go into control panel, click "display". click "settings", and look around
        Futurex

Comment

• kez5
          • Apr 2006

Hey... I'm still having some problems I'm afraid, sorry...

I have looked everywhere in Control Panel but I can't seem to find where I need to setup my computer to play the movie in my TV...

As I said, I have the S VIDEO cable running from my laptop to my DVD player, and I have the audio cable (can't remember trechnical name for it) running from my laptop into my DVD player so I can get sound out of the TV, just not the picture...

I'm sort of stuck as to what to do...

Again, thanks for taking the time to read this!

Comment

• Zero G
            Next to Arch Stanton
            • Jan 2006

I'm confused on this one. You are trying to play files from your pc through a DVD player? Is this a recorder? If it isn't, then all you will have on it are outputs and not inputs. Why wouldn't you just connect directly to the tv from your pc?
            "Wanted in 14 counties of this state. The condemned is found guilty of the crimes of murder, armed robbery of citizens, state banks and post offices, the theft of sacred objects, arson in a state prison, purgery, bigamy, deserting his wife and children, inciting prostitution, kidnapping, extortion, receiving stolen goods, selling stolen goods, passing counterfeit money, and contrary to the laws of this state, the condemned is guilty of using marked cards...therefore according to the powers vested in us, we sentence the accused here before us Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Ramirez also known as the Rat and any other aliases he may have to hang by the neck until dead."

Comment

• kez5
              • Apr 2006

Hey, thank you for the reply!

On my DVD player there is an S VIDEO CABLE output and on my laptop there is also an S VIDEO CABLE output...

I was told that if I buy an S VIDEO CABLE, I can plug it in from my laptop into my DVD player, and as my DVD player is connected to the TV, it will play just like a normal DVD, but it is playing from my computer. It is a movie file I downloaded, and instead of putting it onto DVD I wanted to play it straight from my laptop onto the TV and I was told I could do this as my DVD player has an S VIDEO CABLE output. Only thing is, I'm having trouble making this work...

There must be something I'm missing here cos it does sound too simple to be true...

Anyway, thanks for the reply.

Comment

• Zero G
                Next to Arch Stanton
                • Jan 2006

The DVD player is an output, not an input. Signal goes out and not in.
                "Wanted in 14 counties of this state. The condemned is found guilty of the crimes of murder, armed robbery of citizens, state banks and post offices, the theft of sacred objects, arson in a state prison, purgery, bigamy, deserting his wife and children, inciting prostitution, kidnapping, extortion, receiving stolen goods, selling stolen goods, passing counterfeit money, and contrary to the laws of this state, the condemned is guilty of using marked cards...therefore according to the powers vested in us, we sentence the accused here before us Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Ramirez also known as the Rat and any other aliases he may have to hang by the neck until dead."

Comment

• kez5
                  • Apr 2006

So my laptop would be the input?

Is there anyway I can play films from my laptop via my DVD player?

The S VIDEO CABLE was actually an expensive piece of equipment so I would love to try and get this working...

Thanks again.

Comment

• Zero G
                    Next to Arch Stanton
                    • Jan 2006

Your laptop is the output source. Your DVD player is an output source. Your tv is the input destination.

Comment

• kez5
                      • Apr 2006

So is there anyway at all I can play films from my laptop via my DVD player into the TV using my S VIDEO CABLE?

The guy at the shop was pretty certain I could... Like I said, there must be a missing link to this somewhere, something I'm not doing right...

Thanks again buddy.

Comment

• Zero G
                        Next to Arch Stanton
                        • Jan 2006

I think the shop is the missing link. There is no way to send a signal into your DVD player unless it's a recorder.

Comment

• kez5
                          • Apr 2006

OK, obviously this can't be done, oh well...

Just one more thing then... Can you recommend any good software which I can use to burn these films onto a DVD so they will play like a normal DVD in the player?

Thanks for all your help!

Comment

Working...