Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mcho
    • Apr 2006

Need Software Recommendation

I use a Hauppage PVR 150 to record Saturday morning PBS how-to shows. But that leaves me with a 12 gig file and I don't always want to keep all the shows. Also I want each show to be a separate file. Hauppage comes with ULEAD movie studio but it like all the other video editors I have are cumbersomne to use and don't allow you to make multiple cuts from the same file and save them separately. All of them can be used but require one cut at a time. This can end up taking a very long time. The Nano Editor works of course but it is cumbersome and not easy to use, and I have to make each cut separately, one after the other. My AVR Editor only allows one cut at a time and has to reprocess the entier 12 gig file each time.

Is there any easy to use, uncomplicated, software out there, that will allow me to mark up a file for cutting up into smaller pieces in a single simple operation (and also does not reporcess the file - which could lead to sound and lower quality problems)? Almost all the software out there either wants you to split the files into equal pieces or is designed to make DVD movies (which I am not interested in doing).
    Last edited by mcho; 17 Apr 2006, 04:31 AM.
  • drfsupercenter
    NOT an online superstore
    • Oct 2005

It comes with a NanoCosmos thing, never used it, but that may work.
    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
    Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
    My DVD Collection

Comment

• mcho
      • Apr 2006

It does but it hangs up on the 12 gig file. And when it doesn't it is a real pain to use.

Comment

• drfsupercenter
        NOT an online superstore
        • Oct 2005

Hmmm, you could always use that, then use DivX2DVD to convert to MPG2 VOB files, and they would be undre 4.7 gigs. Let me know if you can't find the free DivX2DVD. Not positive if it takes MPG, but I am 75% sure it does.
        CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
        Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
        My DVD Collection

Comment

• moonrocks
          Gold Member
          Gold Member
          • Jul 2005

For mpeg editing I like VideoRedo Plus. It's a very easy, simple to use mpeg editor. Although you can specify multiple cut points and then save the remainder as a single file with one operation, I'm not sure if you can designate multiple save sections and then have them saved as different files with one operation.

But that's no problem because you can save any section you want on the fly and then quickly mark a different section to save and then save that as a separate file. It should take only a minute or so to save a one hour slice of your mpeg, then move on to the next section, mark it and save it.

VideoRedo is a native mpeg editor so there's no re-encoding, you're getting lossless saves. Only thing is it's not freeware, but it does have a free trial if you want to try it. There are good freeware mpeg editors, like Cuttermaran, but I haven't used them much.

"Det blåser også her." - Erik den røde

Comment

• mcho
            • Apr 2006

Thanks!

Thanks for the tips. Its true I forgot I could convert first to reduce the size.
            I will try the programs you suggested. Only problem is converting a 12 gig file takes 14 hours on my older computer. Thanks DRFSupercenter and Moonrtocks for your help. I downloaded the free tria Video Redo. If it works I will buy a copy.

Comment

• nanopeg
              • Sep 2006

nanoPEG Editor 2.5

Hi,
              you might check the new version of nanoPEG Editor V2.5, which is much enhanced in stability and compatibility.
              You can also use VideoTransformer to convert your files to smaller sizes.
              nanoStream Cloud - Interactive Live Streaming with Ultra-Low-Latency, including nanoStream H5Live Player, Cross-Platform, running on all browsers, nanoStream CDN, Around the world in 1 second

Enjoy,
              -ol

Comment

Working...