Can one Convert Google GVI files to VCD?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ulTRAX
    Digital Video Enthusiast
    Digital Video Enthusiast
    • Jan 2005

Can one Convert Google GVI files to VCD?

I downloaded a large file from Google Video and noticed as it was downloading it was an avi file. It didn't say that when it was finished... changing it to an gvi file. So I changed the file extension back to avi and I got it to play in Nero Showtime2... at least the video. The audio dropped out after a few seconds.

According to the file's properties the audio is mp3. The video is 29fps @271x480. I ran it though GSpot and it says I don't have the right video codec... I need DviX4... but that I have 3 compatible audio codecs. Yet the video is playing and the audio is not. It will not play in WMP... says I'm missing a codec.

If I want to burn this to VCD... any suggestions?

Thanks!
    Last edited by ulTRAX; 22 Apr 2006, 01:42 AM.
  • paglamon
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Aug 2005

Open the file in Virtualdub and post the FILE INFORMATION here.
    sigpic

ONLY MOMENTS LINGER...DEWDROPS ON A FALLEN LEAF

Comment

• ulTRAX
      Digital Video Enthusiast
      Digital Video Enthusiast
      • Jan 2005

Originally Posted by paglamon
      Open the file in Virtualdub and post the FILE INFORMATION here.
      I'm getting an error that it can't locate decompressor for format dvix. DirectShow as used in WMP won't work.

BTW... VirtualDub won't even acknowledge the .gvi files. I'm trying to read the one I renamed to .avi.
      Last edited by ulTRAX; 22 Apr 2006, 02:28 AM.

Comment

• ulTRAX
        Digital Video Enthusiast
        Digital Video Enthusiast
        • Jan 2005

I'm getting video and audio using the VLC player. What's odd about this file is I can't FF in either ShowTime2 or VLC.

VLC also plays these gvi files without having to change the file ext to .avi.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
          Demigod of Digital Video
          • Nov 2004

that's because VLC uses it's own codecs. install divx.
          "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
          Columbo moments...
          "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
          "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
          (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• ulTRAX
            Digital Video Enthusiast
            Digital Video Enthusiast
            • Jan 2005

Originally Posted by LT. Columbo
            that's because VLC uses it's own codecs. install divx.
            Is DviX a compression program or a codec? How would I use it to convert these files to VCD?

Comment

• LT. Columbo
              Demigod of Digital Video
              • Nov 2004

the codec, i use it. if renaming the extension to .avi works, use TMPGEnc free version to put on VCD like you want.
              "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
              Columbo moments...
              "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."

Comment

• ulTRAX
                Digital Video Enthusiast
                Digital Video Enthusiast
                • Jan 2005

Originally Posted by LT. Columbo
                the codec, i use it. if renaming the extension to .avi works, use TMPGEnc free version to put on VCD like you want.
                TMPGEnc won't open the avi video file.

I downloaded a Google video second file and it was saved as an avi file. I didn't have to change the file ext. I'm working with some big files. Maybe I should find a small file people can experiment with.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                  Demigod of Digital Video
                  • Nov 2004

i'm not sure as i have never worked with GVI files.
                  Columbo moments...

Comment

• anonymez
                    Super Moderator
                    • Mar 2004

its an avi file, i'd imagine the extension has just been changed to gvi so you know where it came from. the reason tmpgenc/vdub won't load, and also why you cannot encode, is because you don't have the vfw codec on your system. as the LT said, either download & install divx, or download & install ffdshow, and set divx4 to libavcodec in vfw codec configuration
                    "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• drfsupercenter
                      NOT an online superstore
                      • Oct 2005

How do you download Google Video as AVI? When downloading normally, it downloads as a Google Video file that can only be played via Google Video Player. The way I figured is download as PSP video, it's an MP4, then convert from there. Is there an easier way?
                      CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
                      Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
                      My DVD Collection

Comment

• ulTRAX
                        Digital Video Enthusiast
                        Digital Video Enthusiast
                        • Jan 2005

Originally Posted by drfsupercenter
                        How do you download Google Video as AVI? When downloading normally, it downloads as a Google Video file that can only be played via Google Video Player. The way I figured is download as PSP video, it's an MP4, then convert from there. Is there an easier way?
                        All the files I'm referring to are not DRM protected.

The first time I tried to download a file all I got was a small 2k .gvp file. Using the Google Video Player it took me to the real file so I assumed it had the real URL. So I opened it in Notepad. It was plaintext so I used the URL I found. That one said I was downloading an avi file but was saved as a gvi file. I changed the file ext on this one.

The second one I think I just tried to download from the Google page. I'd already had a partial file since I'd watched part of the film. It came in as an avi file and automatically was saved that way. While the gvi files automatically open the Google Player... if I used the VLC player and open either the avi or gvi file... they play. Both play in in the DivX Player too... and it has the advantage of allowing FF.

I've tried to get a small video file to experiment with but I've never gotten one of those small 2k gvp URL/description files again.

I'm not yet finding any pattern here.
                        Last edited by ulTRAX; 22 Apr 2006, 12:36 PM.

Comment

• drfsupercenter
                          NOT an online superstore
                          • Oct 2005

LOL way to go! I would never have thought of that. I just download them as MP4's and then convert, maybe that would be easier for you?
                          CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
                          Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
                          My DVD Collection

Comment

• ulTRAX
                            Digital Video Enthusiast
                            Digital Video Enthusiast
                            • Jan 2005

Originally Posted by anonymez
                            its an avi file, i'd imagine the extension has just been changed to gvi so you know where it came from. the reason tmpgenc/vdub won't load, and also why you cannot encode, is because you don't have the vfw codec on your system. as the LT said, either download & install divx, or download & install ffdshow, and set divx4 to libavcodec in vfw codec configuration
                            I installed the DivX Player (is this the right one?) and it plays all these files just fine. When I tried to burn them to DVD.... VCD was not an option... it did not convert them. It burned them as avi files so they won't play on a regular DVD player.

Comment

• ulTRAX
                              Digital Video Enthusiast
                              Digital Video Enthusiast
                              • Jan 2005

Originally Posted by drfsupercenter
                              LOL way to go! I would never have thought of that. I just download them as MP4's and then convert, maybe that would be easier for you?
                              I read on their help pages that files downloaded for the PSP were mpeg4. It might be easier to work with them, but since I know nothing about avi, I'm trying to learn that first. If that's a dead end I'll try the mpeg4 route.

Comment

Working...