• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • copyless
    Digital Video Expert
    Digital Video Expert
    • Apr 2006

Problems with playback

I am having a problem with the playback of my copied DVD. I have burned 4 different copies, using just about every program available. Every time I play the first three copies, they start having problems once the fifth chapter begins to play. On the last copy I used DVDfab to decode and it played fine all the way through the fifth chapter but then done the same as the others on the sixth chapter. When it reachs this point my player starts to have trouble reading the disc and finally stops and gives the error message that there is no disc.

I decided to try the last copy on my computer and it worked fine, so I tried it on another player and it also seems to play fine. The player that is giving me a problem with this disc is a sony DVP-C600D. I have burned about 30-40 discs and all have played on this player until this one. The other player I tried is a sony RDR-VX515 and again it plays fine on this one. I have always burned my discs at a rate of 8x or above without a problem, but since I had so much difficulty with this one on the last burn I turned the speed down to 4x, this is the copy that also went until the 6th chapter before the problem arose.

Also this is new media, this is the only discs I have burned with this media so far. The new media is Philips DVD-R 1-8x, the old media was a no name media by Great Quality DVD-R 8x.

Do you think media is my problem or something else. Since I only thought about using my other player after the fourth program and burn, I have not tried my other three on RDR player but I am going to try them on it. Also if you think it is a media problem do you think slowing the burn down 2x or 1x may solve the problem. Any ideas, suggestions, or comments will be greatly appreciated. Thank You
  • NightTran
    King of Digital Video
    King of Digital Video
    • Aug 2005

get tayo yuden or verbatim, they are more consistence
    sigpic

Comment

• codajohn
      Digital Video Expert
      Digital Video Expert
      • Jul 2005

What type of burner to do have? Have you checked to see if your burner firmware is up to date? Could you also post your burn log and CDSpeed log. Media quality is everything!
      I read somewhere in this forum that +R's work better on stand alones.
      CJ
      CJ
      My DVD Collection
      Register To Join Digital Video Forums

Dell Inspiron 9100 Laptop, Windows XP Home SP 2 (build 2600), 2.80GH Pent 4, ST94811A 40GB HD, 2GB RAM, NEC DVD+RW ND-6100A 104D, ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9700, External 250GB Maxtor HD, External LG-5163D A105

IBM ThinkCenter 8189, XP Pro, 3.2GH Pentium 4, 120 GB HD, 1GB Ram, BENQ DW1650 BCIC, Nvidia GeForce FX 5200, Generic floppy disk drive (3.5")

The Golden Rules of Burning

Comment

• copyless
        Digital Video Expert
        Digital Video Expert
        • Apr 2006

I have a HP Lightscribe 16x double layer +/- R/RW recorder. I haven't checked to see if there is a firmware update but I plan to, but I am leaning towards a media problem. Since I have recorded alot of DVDs with absolutely no problem with speeds of 8+, on media that was a no name brand, but since I ran out of it I bought the Philips media, and thats when my problem began. I also have always used -Rs with no problem in any player, until now. The GQ media always burned at speeds of 8 and above and I never experianced any problem, until I changed to the Philips media. Also I do not have the logs, since I spent about 14hrs trying to copy one DVD by the time I finished I was pretty fed up and tired so I did not save any info, unless they are saved automatically, and if they are let me know and I will retrieve them and post them. Thank you
        Last edited by copyless; 27 Apr 2006, 07:21 AM.

Comment

• Zero G
          Next to Arch Stanton
          • Jan 2006

I'd bet on the media too.
          "Wanted in 14 counties of this state. The condemned is found guilty of the crimes of murder, armed robbery of citizens, state banks and post offices, the theft of sacred objects, arson in a state prison, purgery, bigamy, deserting his wife and children, inciting prostitution, kidnapping, extortion, receiving stolen goods, selling stolen goods, passing counterfeit money, and contrary to the laws of this state, the condemned is guilty of using marked cards...therefore according to the powers vested in us, we sentence the accused here before us Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Ramirez also known as the Rat and any other aliases he may have to hang by the neck until dead."

Comment

• codajohn
            Digital Video Expert
            Digital Video Expert
            • Jul 2005

Originally Posted by copyless
            I have a HP Lightscribe 16x double layer +/- R/RW recorder. I haven't checked to see if there is a firmware update but I plan to, but I am leaning towards a media problem. Since I have recorded alot of DVDs with absolutely no problem with speeds of 8+, on media that was a no name brand, but since I ran out of it I bought the Philips media, and thats when my problem began. I also have always used -Rs with no problem in any player, until now.
            Based on the above, smells like a media quality problem.
            CJ
            CJ
            My DVD Collection

Dell Inspiron 9100 Laptop, Windows XP Home SP 2 (build 2600), 2.80GH Pent 4, ST94811A 40GB HD, 2GB RAM, NEC DVD+RW ND-6100A 104D, ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9700, External 250GB Maxtor HD, External LG-5163D A105

IBM ThinkCenter 8189, XP Pro, 3.2GH Pentium 4, 120 GB HD, 1GB Ram, BENQ DW1650 BCIC, Nvidia GeForce FX 5200, Generic floppy disk drive (3.5")

Comment

• copyless
              Digital Video Expert
              Digital Video Expert
              • Apr 2006

Well I thought I would update this, it is or was definitely a media problem. After lots of time researching and wasteless hours of trying to burn the media at slower speeds, I went out and bought some new media. I was copying a new DVD so I thought I would give the old media another try (just for the heck of it). I ended up with the same results, when the movie got to the 6th chapter in my main player it again was unreadable although it plays fine in my new recorder. But when I burned to the new Sony media I bought the main player agains works like a champ. Thanks to all for the help and knowledge bases that I used, I by myself and without the help of this forum, posts, and links most likely would have never found the problem. This has saved me countless hours of time, since I would have not given up until the problem was solved, and all I needed was some great knowledge (thanks to you all) and a trip to the store to solve my issue. Again Thanks to all and this forum.

Oh yeah, Blutach, if you read this, I definitely DID NOT miss the word not in your profile. I actually think it's a typo, I truly do. A special Thanks to you and Cynthia.
              Last edited by copyless; 28 Apr 2006, 01:36 PM.

Comment

• blutach
                Not a god of digital video
                • Oct 2004

Glad you got your problems sorted out copyless

Regards
                Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
                [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

• copyless
                  Digital Video Expert
                  Digital Video Expert
                  • Apr 2006

Since I am new to burning DVD's (although I have owed burners for several years, I only began to use them in the past few months), so I am pretty sure my problems are only beginning. But at least I have found a great place with very knowledgeable people to help me through the tough times.

Comment

• codajohn
                    Digital Video Expert
                    Digital Video Expert
                    • Jul 2005

Glad to see everything worked out.
                    CJ
                    My DVD Collection

Comment

Working...