X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ed klein
    Banned
    • Mar 2004

Positive feedback on the Epson R220 CD/DVD disk printer

My existing photo printer Cannon I560 died last week, and I replaced it with a Epson R220 photo printer which can print on white label CD/DVD disks.

Real nice photo printer, comes with the software needed to print on CD/DVD white label disks. Is very easy to update the printer drivers from the Epson web site. Six seperate ink tanks which I plan on refilling myself. I just spent about 2 hours on learning the options and tweaking. $99. at most electronics stores. Gives great photo images on the DVD disks and for photo printing.
  • Gary D
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Dec 2005

Hello fast eddie;

Just curious, what did the ink cost?
    Gary D

Comment

• Obleo
      Huh?
      • Jun 2005

Ed, I also have one of these and it prints beautifully on the silver printable media. Very nice looking disks.

Gary D, ink costs vary. About $9 per cartridge from Epson and about $2 per cartridge for refurbs.

Comment

• MikeyBK
        Digital Video Maniac
        • Feb 2006

The first set of 6 ink cartridges comes with the printer. So around $99 bucks for the printer and the ink>

My Epson R220 actually uses less ink in general than my HP Photosmart 2575.
        MBK

Antec 900 ATX Mid Tower
        Antec True Power Trio 650W PSU
        ABIT IP35 Pro LGA 775 Intel Motherboard
        Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz CPU (Overclocking @ 2.9GHz)
        XFX GeForce 8600GT 256MB GDDR3 Video Card
        Patriot eXtreme Performance (2 x 1GB) DDR2 SDRAM
        Seagate Barracuda(Perpendicular Recording) 320GB SATA 3.0Gb

*SAMSUNG 18X LightScribe SATA SH-S183L DVD±R
        *Sony DRU-810A IDE DVD±R
        *BenQ LS DW1655 IDE DVD±R

Comment

• celtic_druid
          Digital Video Expert
          Digital Video Expert
          • Dec 2005

I have a Canon i865 and a PIXMA iP8500. Both print discs fine and never had a problem with either. I'd definatly recommend Canon over Epson for printers.

Comment

• locoeng
            Who Farted?
            • Dec 2005

Have a look at this all you Epson owners:

Customer service is our #1 priority. Get a premium domain for your website today. Financing available.

You can take you empty cartridges to Staples and get, I think, it is $3 per cartridge=$18. And the replacement cartridges at abacus are $24.

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person. It's not fair to you and no challenge for us."
            Walt Kelly

Comment

• bigmacnc
              • Oct 2005

I have the R200 which is same printer. I bought a continuous ink system on Ebay from jlwsales. There are several people selling these type systems but my experience and research revealed this one was the best. I comes in 2 versions with ink being the difference between them. You can get regular dye ink, UV dye ink (which I bought). or pigment ink. All come with chips that auto reset, one of the biggest problem in refilling Epson Carts is the chip controller. I do have another cheaper brand but will not go into my thoughts about it. With Epson replacement carts are more costly than the printer. Shipping appears high but you get it in 3 days. $105 + $25 s&h for what I view as better print that Epson carts.

Mack

Comment

• ed klein
                Banned
                • Mar 2004

Thanks Locoeng, your information was a big help.

In the past, on Canon ink tanks, I have refilled the ink tanks by drilling a small hole on the top of the ink tank, on the non-sponge side, and closing with a plastic plug, and injecting the tank with ink until full. Has worked in the past, but the ink tanks were also clear to see when the tank was full.

I am going to try that on the Epson and non-Epson ink tanks even if they are not clear plastic to fill them.

On the IC chip on the Epson ink tanks, that normally checks how much ink you have used. I think, after you have refilled the ink tanks, you can reset them, or recharge them when you put them in the printer, this should reset the chip to indicate that the tank is full.

I am going to test this when the tanks get empty.

Comment

• drfsupercenter
                  NOT an online superstore
                  • Oct 2005

You can take you empty cartridges to Staples and get, I think, it is $3 per cartridge=$18. And the replacement cartridges at abacus are $24.

http://abacus24-7.com/Epson-Stylus-Photo-R200.htm
                  Are these any good? I just bought all of them at Staples yesterday and it was like $90 all together (good thing my mom pays for my ink )
                  CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
                  Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
                  My DVD Collection

Comment

• bigmacnc
                    • Oct 2005

Epson determines when a cart is empty based on what has been printed not how much ink is left in the cart. You will need to buy a chip resetter to use when refilling carts. If you plan to refill, you be better to buy a kit that has what you will need & have instructions where to pit the refill hole.

Mack

Comment

• locoeng
                      Who Farted?
                      • Dec 2005

@Ed

You are very welcome

@drf

I've bought the full set at Sam's for around $60, I'd say at $90 to got rooked.

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person. It's not fair to you and no challenge for us."
                      Walt Kelly

Comment

• celtic_druid
                        Digital Video Expert
                        Digital Video Expert
                        • Dec 2005

Canon inks just have a prism on the bottom. It can tell how much ink is left by how well it can see it. So with an Epson it could tell you that the ink is empty due to usage when there is actually still plenty left?

Comment

• locoeng
                          Who Farted?
                          • Dec 2005

That is what gather from the lawsuit...

Walt Kelly

Comment

• ed klein
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2004

Just found a SSC Service Utility version 4.10 latest that will handle the Epson R220 to reset the counter on all the ink tanks, freeze the counter on all the ink tanks, and reset the waste ink tank. Also gives you an electric schematic and parts list on how to build a hardware resetter.
                            Going to give it a try.

http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml.

Comment

Working...