Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bOnKe
    • Apr 2002

DVD2SVCD. Does it take that long?

I was going to convert at DVD to SVCD yesterday. It all went along fine until i saw the expected time for the convertion to finish: 62 hours!

My question is this: Is this correct or should I ignore this? It seems att bit much On the other hand it's a long movie, almost three hours... I use the highest quality setting with TMPGEncoder and the option "2-pass variable bitrate".

I have a Pentium III 500 Mhz with 256 Mb RAM...

Is the CinemaCraft Encoder faster than TMPG???
  • Mac Sidewinder
    Platinum Member
    Platinum Member
    • Apr 2002

I have heard of people having that long of encode times. Try setting your quality level down to high instead of highest (you probably won't notice the difference). I encode on a 1.4Ghz P4 and usually average around 8 to 12 hours for a 1.5 to 2 hour movie so a 3 hour movie may take as long as 15-18 hours.

Mac

Comment

• bOnKe
      • Apr 2002

OKi... Thanks!

Comment

• Sean Turner
        • Apr 2002

Ripping times

I use smartripper to rip the DVD straight to HDD, then RipItAll to rip video only, smartripper again to rip ac3 soundtrack direct to a .ac3 file, and Nandub to merge (dub) and split the resulting avi.

These steps take, respectively:

20 minutes (after which you can give the DVD back to whoever it belongs to, usually video shop)
        2-3 hours
        20 minutes
        <1 hour

Meaning I can rip while at lectures etc, etc.

This all on Athlon XP1500+ running Windows ME.

I have been meaning to write a script to do all this automatically, if anyone knows of one please tell me.

Otherwise, try it, get superior quality sound and stop waiting all day for rips!!

Comment

• Sean Turner
          • Apr 2002

Oops - sorry, didn't read orig message - SVCD may be a little slower, but must be faster than 12 hours surely - it's essentially the same format as DVD!!!

Comment

Working...