mpeg to avi - out out of sync 1 second...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chance_
    • Nov 2005

mpeg to avi - out out of sync 1 second...

i use ImTOO MPEG Encoder to convert mpeg to avi so the file is smaller and i've messed around with all the audio settings, tried it all and it's always converting with audio out of sync for about 1 second. any ideas? here are the details; Video: MPEG2 Video 352x288 (16:9) 25.00fps 7998Kbps [Video] Audio: MPEG Audio 48000Hz stereo 128Kbps [Audio]
    Last edited by chance_; 11 May 2006, 09:45 PM.
  • anonymez
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2004

you could use virtualdub to adjust the audio delay afterwards, or use something much better to encode-- say meGUI, staxrip or AutoGK
    "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• chance_
      • Nov 2005

yeah i tried that... when the avi plays in virtual dub its all green and only little bits of the video can be seen lol. but it plays fine on video players/ media player classic and all that. i just got virtualdubmod and sucessfully opened the mpeg and saved to avi... audio in sync... but now i just gotta find the right codec to use so the avi comes out smaller than the mpeg, not bigger. any ideas? xvid codec was bigger and the quality didn't look great.

Comment

• paglamon
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Aug 2005

Xvid avi (at same quality as original) should be smaller than the mpeg.Are u sure the original mpeg is of good quality?Configure ur Xvid properly and it should be enough.However x264 may be another option.
        sigpic

ONLY MOMENTS LINGER...DEWDROPS ON A FALLEN LEAF

Comment

• chance_
          • Nov 2005

it's xvid mpeg 4 video codec btw. okay so i know how to make it smaller but the smaller the worse quality. if i put it on 1 (the target quantizer) the avi is bigger than the mpeg. the mpeg is 27mb... and i got a decent quality at only 21mb. not much of a difference. also, how do i make it stay widescreen? the mpeg is widescreen.
          Last edited by chance_; 12 May 2006, 12:33 AM.

Comment

• anonymez
            Super Moderator
            • Mar 2004

you've got some reading to do-- cq is NOT to go the way for high compression. do a 2-pass VBR encode (click the 'target quantizer' button to enter a bitrate-- since your source is low res you'll want to use a value around 600kbps)
            "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• chance_
              • Nov 2005

when i use Twopass - 2nd pass @ 600kbps and save as i get an error;

Statsfile not found!

then;

VirtualDub Error
              Cannot start video compression:
              The operation is not supported.
              (error code -1)

i just spent hours converting all my mpeg videos to avi and the damn output was only like 10mb less or 20 sometimes. is that normal? or can i get an even lower size with reasonable quality.

also check this out... amazing;
              ImTOO MPEG Encoder compressed a 68mb mpeg to a 19mb .avi. only problem is the audio out of sync. not much quality loss either. i really wanna make that program work.

Comment

• RFBurns
                To Infinity And Byond
                • May 2006

I have run into this also, and have found on most out of sync conversions, its either the audio is being compressed too much vs video compression thus loosing sync or it is some odd ball setting in the compression routine. Forgive me if I seem out of place advising on conversion and compression, Im a newbie here. But I have experienced this problem and more often than not, have found the problem to originate in the settings of the program being used to convert. As I have been told often by experts......experiment with settings and try, try again.

Here..I will fix it!

Sony Digital Video and Still camera CCD imager service

MCM Video Stabalizer

Comment

• chance_
                  • Nov 2005

i wish virtual dub let you encode more than one file like other programs. anyone know of any programs like virtual dub mod that allows you to queue up several files so you don't have to keep adding it when one has finished :/

has to have the compression option so i can mess with the xvid properties.
                  Last edited by chance_; 13 May 2006, 02:21 AM.

Comment

• paglamon
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    • Aug 2005

when i use Twopass - 2nd pass @ 600kbps and save as i get an error;

Statsfile not found!
                    U first have to do Two Pass - 1st pass and mention where to keep the stats file.2nd pass will then use this stats file.
                    sigpic

ONLY MOMENTS LINGER...DEWDROPS ON A FALLEN LEAF

Comment

• RFBurns
                      To Infinity And Byond
                      • May 2006

It sure would be a huge headache relief if VirtualDub would do multi file input. I have used VirtualDub many times, mostly for making VCD's, and get frustrated when things are out of sync. Once it took over a week and lots of hair pulling to finally arrive at the proper adjustments to keep things in sync. I was making a VCD from a game's FMV's. The game had over 200 movie clips and after arranging them to be in order to make a semi-movie out of them, I used VirtualDub to do all of the conversion to mpg.....one at a time!!!! WHEW!

And let me tell ya, re-converting over 200 clips because of out of sync audio or no audio or extremely choppy video is a major hassle. I know how you feel about the sync problem. Although it took quite some time to complete, and after many inqueries in many forums, I just had to experiment and play around with settings and take notes till I came across the proper settings and got all those clips into a smooth running mpg, actually over 200 smooth running mpg's. Then assembled all of them together and made chapters and then finally coding to VCD format.

Good luck with your project, I hope you find the answer sooner than it took me to find.

Here..I will fix it!

MCM Video Stabalizer

Comment

• chance_
                        • Nov 2005

woah! that's some crazy **** there... 200. funny you mention games cause the clips i did were from a game. i record alot of my games while i play them from the tv capture card. i did over 50 clips... but that don't compare to what you did. still got annoyed... took me days to figure out what i wanted to do. tried over 20 programs. also i wonder, it's the program that's at fault if it makes it go out of sync but on virtual dub it doesn't go out of sync right?

Comment

• RFBurns
                          To Infinity And Byond
                          • May 2006

LOL! Yep, over 200 clips. They were from the Wing Commander games 3 through 5, including the WCIV DVD version. Fortunately an avid WC fan known as HC1, created a WC movie player with built in ripper to raw uncompressed avi, so it was easy to get the clips from the game cd's. Filled up that HD quickly too!

There was only one game that did not give me any sync problems when converting the avi files to mpg...that game was Privateer II The Darkening. (I wish that game had a DVD version of the FMV's)

Here..I will fix it!

MCM Video Stabalizer

Comment

• RFBurns
                            To Infinity And Byond
                            • May 2006

Originally Posted by chance_
                            also i wonder, it's the program that's at fault if it makes it go out of sync but on virtual dub it doesn't go out of sync right?
                            During my 200 + hair pulling conversion party, I too discovered the files previewed just fine in VD, outside of that program, they did not play correctly. That is how I found out after all the encoding work that they were nothing but a bunch of worthless out of sync files, VD made me assume that they were just fine.

Here..I will fix it!

MCM Video Stabalizer

Comment

• chance_
                              • Nov 2005

haha i got those games but its not mine. it's been sitting under my bed for years. i borrowed a game case off someone and didn't get the chance to return it. 1-5 is in there.

Comment

Working...