Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pro17
    • Apr 2002

Mpeg2 to Mpeg1 - video and sound off

I have a creative digital VCR recorder card - the mpeg2 file looks perfect when played under powerdvd. BUT, if I use TMPGenc to convert to VCD (and any other format for that matter) the sound and video will be off bigtime. Usually the video comes first before the sound.

I really have no idea what to do. Creative told me to get a new converting program but I cannot find one that will work for me. Maybe there is a setting I am missing?

Thanks.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"the mpeg2 file looks perfect when played under powerdvd"

I presume you mean that it not only "looks perfect" but the audio is in synchronization with the video...

1) What is the format/frequency/sample rate of the audiostream of your captured MPEG2 file?

2) What version of TMPGEnc are you using?

3) Are you using a template/wizard under TMPGEnc, or are you entering manual settings?

4) Are you applying PAL settings to an NTSC file, or vice-versa?

5) What software are you using to playback the TMPGEnc-created file?

Comment

• Pro17
      • Apr 2002

1) What is the format/frequency/sample rate of the audiostream of your captured MPEG2 file?

It is 32Khz

2) What version of TMPGEnc are you using?

Whatever is the latest one you can download.

3) Are you using a template/wizard under TMPGEnc, or are you entering manual settings?

Either way the audio still lags behind the video.

4) Are you applying PAL settings to an NTSC file, or vice-versa?
      I am using NTSC settings.

5) What software are you using to playback the TMPGEnc-created file?
      Media, Elecard, and PowerDVD. All of these play the same way.

What are the optimal settings and codecs to use?
      When I use Elecard codecs it plays mpeg2 in media player and usually works fine, but when converting from mpeg2 to mpeg1 in tmpgenc, the program will shutdown.

When I use the codecs in mpeg2codec_installer.zip (from VCDhelp) mpeg1 and mpeg2 plays fine under media player and tmpgenc will convert easily. It is just everyonce in a while it will do this sound lag after converting from mpeg2 to mpeg1.

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"It is 32Khz"

To assure synchronization, you should capture audio as Uncompressed 16 bit PCM (.WAV) format at 48,000Hz.

Then, when using TMPGEnc to convert to VCD, remeber to set the audio to MPEG1-VideoCD-compliant 44,100Hz.

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

• Pro17
          • Apr 2002

The highest audio capture for the capture card is 32000hz, though.

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

Then just make sure you set the audio in TMPGEnc to 44,100 - and keep your fingers crossed ;>}

Comment

• Pro17
              • Apr 2002

Noooope! Still doesnt do it.

I have noticed that in media player it tells me that the file is playing at 30fps (was recorded at 29 point whatever...).

Comment

• Pro17
                • Apr 2002

Also, the settings on the capture card can be changed. I can choose 640x480, 480x480, or 320x240.

Video compression can range from 1 to 8 megabits per second.

And audio freq cant be changed (32khz) but compression can. Either uncompressed or up to 384.

Im messing with these settings to see which is best right now. So far no luck.

Comment

• Pro17
                  • Apr 2002

I think I found the source:
                  Digital Signature.

When the cable box sends a signal to the TV or the capture card, it skips a frame or two ever half second (not sure the interval, or even if it is random).

I wonder if there is a way around this. Recording analog channels do not have this feature, and some digital channels do not either (copyright stuff I guess), but most definately the movie channels have this. Almost all programs I have tried do not pick up on this frame skip so the video gets ahead of the sound after a while (and the video, during play back, speeds up from time to time when this fram skip happens, and after maybe 2 seconds the sound begins to lag behind).

Comment

Working...