X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Video Idio
    • May 2006

Need some help with VirtualDub.

How can I append files with VirtualDub?
    I keep getting an error saying there's a mismatch in codecs used even though the same capture parameters were used for each file.

Can I add background music without it overpowering the file's source audio?
    I have been able to add a background music track to the files using the Secondary stream tab in Audio, but it overpowers the source audio of the file even if I try to adjust it's volume down before compression.

Why are one piece files that have been segmented, audio synced, then appended not saving as the original file size?
    I captured a 5 minute video and had to segement it into 10 pieces to sync the progressively stretched audio. The segments appended fine, as they all came from the same file, but VDub see's them as a file 5 times it's size. When I try to direct stream copy or compress, whether one pass or two is used, it gets to the end of the original 5 minute video length then loops back to a point about 1/3 into the video and keeps going.
  • paglamon
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Aug 2005

I keep getting an error saying there's a mismatch in codecs used even though the same capture parameters were used for each file.
    Plz post File Information of both the files .
    sigpic

ONLY MOMENTS LINGER...DEWDROPS ON A FALLEN LEAF

Comment

• Video Idio
      • May 2006

Originally Posted by paglamon
      Plz post File Information of both the files .
      OK, first I'll post file 1 & 2 of a four file video captured as sepatate segments using the same capture prog and parameters (Game Cam which uses Mpeg4 V2). These files would not append.

Here are files 1 & 2 of a video which was originally one segment captured via Fraps, then segmented into 10 pieces to sync audio. These files would append, but not save as the original file size, which is the same for both the original one segment clip and the 10 combined.

Last edited by Video Idio; 3 Jun 2006, 06:45 PM.

Comment

• drfsupercenter
        NOT an online superstore
        • Oct 2005

The data rates are different...

Maybe re-save them with some lossless codec like HuffyYUV and then append them.
        CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
        Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
        My DVD Collection

Comment

• Video Idio
          • May 2006

Originally Posted by drfsupercenter
          The data rates are different...
          Maybe re-save them with some lossless codec like HuffyYUV and then append them.
          OK, thanks, will saving them with HuffyYUV result in huge file sizes like an uncompressed full processing mode save though?

Comment

• paglamon
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • Aug 2005

Video Idio,
            have u selected BOTH Video AND Audio Direct Strem Copy before starting appending?
            sigpic

ONLY MOMENTS LINGER...DEWDROPS ON A FALLEN LEAF

Comment

• Video Idio
              • May 2006

Originally Posted by paglamon
              Video Idio,
              have u selected BOTH Video AND Audio Direct Strem Copy before starting appending?
              Just tried that, makes no difference, still won't append.

I have however used HuffyUV to precompress with adding sharpen, contrast & Lanczos3 filter enhancements in VDub prior to using the same method to compress in Movie Maker, and the results were quite good. Probably not quite as good as an Xvid compression in VDub even with a lower bit rate, but very acceptable and with the added benefit of using MM to add music tracks, titles, transitions & effects. The files also compressed very quickly with HuffyUV and appended and compressed in VDub without being read as 5 times their size and looping back like I'd experienced before with appended files in VDub.

IMO it's too complex to try and add background music using VDub or NanDub and they lack title and transition features I need. For one thing, it's nice and necessary for some of us average users to have an audio graph to cut and sync music into files.

Where's the open source or affordable ($70-$100) full featured editors (minus DVD authoring) that can compress with Xvid and have contrast, sharpen & resize filters on par with the free tools already available? It's absurd to have to struggle in vain to find such a thing. I can only guess that no one wants to commit to such a product given there's MM for free and the highly acclaimed (and over rated IMO) Ulead 10 for $70. In reality though neither of these products come close to filling the niche I'm speaking of.

Home video editing is very popular now, popluar enough that such a product is very much needed. The average user neither has the time or understanding it takes to use several programs and complex procedures just to get results that the latest codecs and filters are capable of at reasonable file sizes. Even if we take the time and research needed to learn such steps using several programs, there is still a lack of audio, title, & transition capability.

Sure there may be ways to do everything I want with the freeware tools and get great results, but even if I did, I would still feel the same way. Convenience and simplicity mean time to do other things and is very valuable. Valuable enough to warrant the money it takes to make such a product. That should not, however, mean having to compromise quality when so many free compression and filter tools exist. I guess I'm saying these more affordable editors are filled with corporate BS, they could be doing better, but they sit on the stuff they throw at us as if it were not needing much improvement.
              Last edited by Video Idio; 4 Jun 2006, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Working...