• Show
Clear All
  • katzdvd
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Feb 2006

Catagorize/Library Backups of Movies/CDs

Hi y'all,

I saw a post on this several months ago, & thought I would revisit the topic to get some new ideas.

I am looking for a way to catagorize & library my dvd/cd collection. (backups) I store the original away in a safe place, away from little sticky fingers , & then display my backups in a tower dvd holder next to the entertainment center.

Problem is, since I am using slim cases, there is no area to label the end of the disc for easy & quick i.d of the movie that I want to view.

So, I end up pulling them out one by one, until I find the desired one. Any suggestions? Ideas? How do you do it?

Thanks!
    katz
  • soup
    Just Trying To Help
    • Nov 2005

I can think of 2 ways right now. I think you can still label the slim jewel cases but you would have to write fairly small so use a very fine felt pen (Sharpie). You could also put them in alphabetical order, at least that would give you a rough idea where they are. When you constantly add backups though alphabetical sucks because you have to keep moving them to keep them in order. Just thought of 1 more while I was typing, that's because I type so slow. Number each case & have a list handy that you can refer to, this way if you add to it you are just adding on the end.

Comment

• RFBurns
      To Infinity And Byond
      • May 2006

I number the disc lables so that the numbers are visible on the edge, and with a notebook that has each number and the respective DVD title for that given number it is easy for family members to find the DVD they are looking for. It also keeps them from making a mess of the whole thing!

Here..I will fix it!

Sony Digital Video and Still camera CCD imager service

MCM Video Stabalizer

Comment

• katzdvd
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Feb 2006

good ideas!

Hi Soup,

You could also put them in alphabetical order, at least that would give you a rough idea where they are. When you constantly add backups though alphabetical sucks because you have to keep moving them to keep them in order.
        yea, that's kinda how I do it now, it is a pain to keep moving them ...

I think you can still label the slim jewel cases but you would have to write fairly small so use a very fine felt pen
        you haven't seen my handwriting

Number each case & have a list handy that you can refer to, this way if you add to it you are just adding on the end.
        I think I like that last one write a small number on the end, & no more re-organizing when the alphabetical ordering is goofed up!

Great ideas, keep them coming!

Comment

• copyless
          Digital Video Expert
          Digital Video Expert
          • Apr 2006

I use 2"x4" generic labels and Avery labeling software (free). On each tab, I can get 7 movies at a font size of 10 with bold letters, then I place a blank font size of 7 in between each. I then use scissors to cut the tab into the 7 strips and apply to the side. This makes the writing basically the same size as the case, they are easily readable.
          Last edited by copyless; 6 Jul 2006, 11:47 AM.

Comment

• soup
            Just Trying To Help
            • Nov 2005

I don't know if you use something like Microsoft Word. You could list all your titles in 2 or 3 columns in a font small enough for the edge of the case but bold it. Print it out on a page & cut them out.

Comment

• Derree
              Digital Video Expert
              Digital Video Expert
              • Jul 2005

I use regular dvd cases and I go here to get the insert...then I use paint to edit the cover leaving only the spine and print that..uses much less ink that way...and store them on book shelves...as I have just over 700 this does take up a bit of room and is a pain having to move them all (they are alphebetical) but I really like the display it creates.
              sigpic

Turn down the suck...Turn up the
              good
              -------------------------------------------

Comment

Working...