Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kwanny
    • Jun 2006

Uninstalling Windows Media Player

Any of you know how to uninstall WMP? I tried looking under add/remove programs, but its not listed there.

Would it be safe to go to C: from My Computer, and then Program files, and then manually deleting the Windows Media Player folder???

Thanks.
  • RFBurns
    To Infinity And Byond
    • May 2006

Originally Posted by kwanny
    Any of you know how to uninstall WMP? I tried looking under add/remove programs, but its not listed there.

Would it be safe to go to C: from My Computer, and then Program files, and then manually deleting the Windows Media Player folder???

Thanks.
    Hi

If I am not mistaken, and please correct me if I am wrong anyone, WMP is an integral part of the OS, much like how explorer is, even tho there are different parts of explorer, like the web browser vs windows file explorer, two semi-different apps but interlinked with shared system files "dll". If you remove those shared files that have to do with WMP, you might remove something vital that the OS requires in order to start up properly or run another program properly.

Manually removing apps is more than just going to the C drive and finding the programs root folder and deleting those files unless the program itself does not alter any registry settings or system settings or uses shared dll's. The registry has reference to these files and locations, and unless those registry entries are removed, the OS upon start up is going to attempt to load the WMP program and that in itself makes the OS start looking for those shared dll's and other associated files. Your system might freeze at startup.

Here..I will fix it!

Sony Digital Video and Still camera CCD imager service

MCM Video Stabalizer

Comment

• Dan
      Digital Video Master
      Digital Video Master
      • Dec 2005

Originally Posted by kwanny

Thanks.
      If you go into add/remove programs, on the left select add/remove windows components. (See image below)

Check or uncheck what you want to remove and continue. This should take care of things. I know this method worked to remove games, outlook express and MSN Explorer.

I have not tried to remove WMP but if it worked for the other's hopefully it will work for WMP.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Dan; 7 Jul 2006, 08:05 AM.

Comment

• Chewy
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2003

Both advices are correct, when you remove it, all it does is hide it, almost instant, and when you turn it back on, same thing. More like putting the beast in suspended animation.

Comment

• Dan
          Digital Video Master
          Digital Video Master
          • Dec 2005

I like the your analogy chewy, lol.

Comment

• soup
            Just Trying To Help
            • Nov 2005

I thought this little bit of history might help shed some light.

http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?t=60313.

Comment

• anonymez
              Super Moderator
              • Mar 2004

if you want to 'get rid' of it, just delete all shortcuts to it, disable file type associations with it, and maybe block net access with firewall
              "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• celtic_druid
                Digital Video Expert
                Digital Video Expert
                • Dec 2005

Best way to get rid of WMP and other windows components is to use something like nLite to remove it from your windows CD before installing.

Comment

• kwanny
                  • Jun 2006

Originally Posted by Dan
                  If you go into add/remove programs, on the left select add/remove windows components. (See image below)

Check or uncheck what you want to remove and continue. This should take care of things. I know this method worked to remove games, outlook express and MSN Explorer.

I have not tried to remove WMP but if it worked for the other's hopefully it will work for WMP.
                  Well, it removed the program, but under the C: directory, you can still see the Windows Media Player folder with its setup application and everything still inside.

Man, i guess it's just something I can't get rid of, huh?

The reason why I'm trying to remove it is cuz it's been running extremely slow on my computer for a reason I am not sure. So I just thought I could uninstall and reinstall it again to solve the problem.
                  Last edited by kwanny; 7 Jul 2006, 03:12 PM.

Comment

• Chewy
                    Super Moderator
                    • Nov 2003

you can't really remove it, just turn it off

Comment

• kwanny
                      • Jun 2006

Originally Posted by Chewy
                      you can't really remove it, just turn it off
                      is there another program I can use to watch *.avi files then? I know I can use iTunes for the songs, but what about for the video files?

Comment

• anonymez
                        Super Moderator
                        • Mar 2004

media player classic
                        "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• kwanny
                          • Jun 2006

Originally Posted by anonymez
                          media player classic
                          thanks.

now, where do I go to get this program? thanks

Comment

• soup
                            Just Trying To Help
                            • Nov 2005

Media Player Classic.