Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jmzwarick
    • Jul 2006

Over Heating DVDs

I have made copies of several DVD movies. The copy completed sucessfully and I reviewed the DVD after it was copied and they work fine. However ocassionally I will paly them on a different DVD player and after 30-40 minutes the DVD gets hot ad begins to freeze. If the DVD cools back down the movie is fully playable.

Has anyone experienced this condition?
  • BLOWZO
    • Jul 2006

Originally Posted by jmzwarick
    I have made copies of several DVD movies. The copy completed sucessfully and I reviewed the DVD after it was copied and they work fine. However ocassionally I will paly them on a different DVD player and after 30-40 minutes the DVD gets hot ad begins to freeze. If the DVD cools back down the movie is fully playable.

Has anyone experienced this condition?
    wow thats nuts.... is the player that it overheats in old? Does it just do it with copied DVD's or is it new ones as well?

Comment

• jm1647
      An Eagles Fan, A MenuShrinker
      • Apr 2005

Is the player sitting directly on top of the TV? Moving it might help. Or maybe that player is having a hard time reading that DVD and spinning alot trying to read it.

Comment

• spuddog

some standalone players have poor ventalation. I had to place blocks under the legs of mine to increase thr air-flow.

Comment

• katzdvd
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Feb 2006

...could drill a few extra vent holes in the side of the player...

Just kidding - don't do it, although it sounds like somthing I would do!

Comment

• jm1647
            • Apr 2005

I bought a standalone DVD Recorder a while after they first came out. When this model was first introduced there were problems with overheating. The one I purchased at a later date had heat sinks on a 3 of the chips and a small fan installed. Problem solved.

Comment

• copyless
              Digital Video Expert
              Digital Video Expert
              • Apr 2006

One thing I have always done, is to keep like a 8" fan mounted behind my entertainment center. I have it pointed mostly toward my amplifier ( since it produces the most heat) and it also blows slightly across my two players. I keep it plugged in to the switched outlet on the back of the receiver, so that whenever I turn on the receiver the fan automatically comes on. This prolongs the life of everything an unbelievable amount, since heat is the main cause of most electronic failures.

Comment

• rvader
                • Jul 2006

Originally Posted by katzdvd

Hmm! We may be related.

Comment

• jm1647
                  • Apr 2005

Originally Posted by katzdvd

Loosening up the cover to allow the back of the cover to stick up some and have an opening would let the heat vent out also. I ain't saying remove the cover completely just cock it up so the heat could escape on it's own.

Comment

• katzdvd
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    • Feb 2006

...I compute naked a lot of the time for extra cooling...

No, I meant with the case off the tower - geez, what is it with you guys...

Comment

Working...