Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • n9spooks
    • Jul 2006

PC hangs while playing WMV files.

Only recently I discovered that I cant play all sorts of WMV players when I can previously. I've divx installed only, wmp 10 and bsplayer. NOw that I cant play any WMV files without my pc totally stuttering before effectively hanging, i removed everything, rolled back to wmp 9 and painstakingly tried installing the recommended codecs and uninstalling them one-by-one when they dont solve the problem. As of now, I've just installed FFDshow and the same problems are not solved.

Need advice pls!

I'm not very well versed bout these things so if theres any more information you guys need, i'll try to get them for you.
  • n9spooks
    • Jul 2006

i tried again and now there are audio but amidst much stuttering of the pc and no video. I'm forced the to close the application.

Hope the info helps.

Comment

• celtic_druid
      Digital Video Expert
      Digital Video Expert
      • Dec 2005

Basically the only WMV filters come from Microsoft. Although ffdshow can handle decoding some streams. Such as WMA V2, WMV1, WMV2 (broken) and WMV3 (requires a registry edit in recent builds). Can also handle MS MPEG-4. Chances are that you are using MS' DMO decoders though.

Comment

• n9spooks
        • Jul 2006

This is getting even worse. I realised my pc couldn't play any sorts of vidoes at all! There is sound but no vidoes and a lot of pc stutter.

I've no idea at all, it was working fine 3 days ago. I've removed all sorts of codec and only have FFDshow.

Comment

• n9spooks
          • Jul 2006

pls advice, i really appreciate any kind of help.

I'm wary of downloading codecs without knowing which one can help my situation.

Comment

• soup
            Just Trying To Help
            • Nov 2005

Have you tried another player like Media Player Classic. View / options / Formats / Video All Apply / Audio All Apply.
            Last edited by soup; 18 Jul 2006, 02:13 PM.

Comment

• anonymez
              Super Moderator
              • Mar 2004

try playing with VLC
              "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

Working...