Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • girlsonfilm
    • Apr 2002

capture

Hi, does the capture card effect the final image quality? I have an Aver EZYCAPTURE card , but have a 1 gig intel processor & 256 mb ram and a 32mb Riva videocard. I find MPEG1 to be far better than any other format so far, for image quality, I have tried MJPEG , but this doesn't seem as good either. I've tried DIVX , great compression but at the expense of picture quality again. What format will give the finest image ? At the moment, I am capturing analog pal vhs & converting this using tmpeg encoder.Will a digital video camera give better results?
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

If you have sufficient hard drive space, capture as Uncompressed .AVI...

Comment

• raff
      • Apr 2002

It all depends on what you're capturing from really. And then you're down to removing the bottlenecks as they occur.

I wouldn't recommend capturing uncompressed AVI to your hard drive unless you have about 30GB free space on a super fast RAID array... The bottleneck here is sheer data throughput. Defrag that hard drive.

To really get the best quality, rip audio and video separately if you have an analog recording you're trying to capture from VCR. I get pretty good results from Divx 5.0 set to 700kbps... With compression, the bottleneck is obviously going to be system resources & clock cycles, but you should be OK.

Also try Huffyuv. It's lossless, so great for archiving. I haven't gotten great results though - lots of dropped frames.

Raff

Comment

• girlsonfilm
        • Apr 2002

video capture

Are there any major advantages in capturing from a digital video camera as opposed to capture from an analogue camera?

Comment

Working...