Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kingaaa
    • Mar 2006

Originally Posted by Chewy
    wma's and their drm, are for the birds, an mp3 cd can hold 700 minutes of music, that's over 11 hours. One of my DJ clients has about 100 gigs of mp3's
    and another 60 gigs of karaoke, he uses a tower at home(with 2 hard drives),
    a 80 gig laptop with 160 gig external drive. Everything is backed up on 2seperate hard drives. Digitizing and ripping all this was a bear, moving it from cd's to computers was bad enough, putting it back on cd's or dvd's, forget it.
    Chewy, how do you get 700 minutes of mp3's onto a 700 mb cd? this I would be really interested in because its exactly what I'm looking for, a long-playing cd.Unfortunatley when I was ripping my cd's to my hard-drive windows would only convert them to wma's, I'd say 70% of my music now are wma's and unless there is a piece of software out there that will convert thousands of tracks at a time to mp3's, I think they'll be staying wma's, I just would'nt have the time to do a few tracks at a time.

Comment

• Chewy
      Super Moderator
      • Nov 2003

with mp3's and 128 it's about a meg a minute, with wma's it's less

Now with professional equipment, at 192 and mp3's it's probably closer to 1.5 megs a minute

hardware has to be able to play mp3 and wma data cd's

once you start sleeping with microsoft(wma's) might as well stay with her

I can rerip and get better results than to convert
      Last edited by Chewy; 29 Jul 2006, 09:23 PM.

Comment

• katzdvd
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Feb 2006

I'd say 70% of my music now are wma's and unless there is a piece of software out there that will convert thousands of tracks at a time to mp3's,
        Audio software can "batch process" to convert many files at once; I use Goldwave to do it, but i'm sure cooledit will also, as well as Audacity, & many others.

katz

Comment

• kingaaa
          • Mar 2006

theres another thing always confused me.Just say the average mp3 is 3-4 mb, how come I normally only get about 18-20 tracks on a cdr? Some cdr's say 74mb, some say 740 mb, surely there cant be that much difference? Chewy, does it have to be professional equipment to get this many tracks onto a cd? This is all probably very basic stuff, but to be honest all these numbers sent my brain into overload causing me to sit back, relax and have a beer

Comment

• katzdvd
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • Feb 2006

theres another thing always confused me.Just say the average mp3 is 3-4 mb, how come I normally only get about 18-20 tracks on a cdr?
            Are you sure you are burning in "mp3" mode setting in your software? Sounds like a wav file cd to me...

Comment

• Chewy
              Super Moderator
              • Nov 2003

you are converting the mp3's/wma's to cda's(wave cd files) which are huge
              and making audio cd's, newer cd players will play data cd's, just burn a data
              cd with nero and test player

Comment

• kingaaa
                • Mar 2006

Boys, you lost me after "are you sure"! So let me get this right, what your saying I should do instead of choosing to create a music cd in nero, I shoud instead choose to create a data cd?

Comment

• Chewy
                  Super Moderator
                  • Nov 2003

Originally Posted by kingaaa
                  Boys, you lost me after "are you sure"! So let me get this right, what your saying I should do instead of choosing to create a music cd in nero, I shoud instead choose to create a data cd?
                  exactly and it will play on a good newer cdplayer, not a boom box, and most dvd players

but don't try to put 4 gigs of mp3's on a dvd and play

Comment

• kingaaa
                    • Mar 2006

Thanks chewy and katzdvd, this is exactly what I'm looking to do. Dont worry chewy, I wont try the dvd's, I think 700 minutes will do!

Comment

Working...