• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rsquirell
    Digital Video Master
    Digital Video Master
    • Feb 2003

Converting Animated GIFs

Just for general info. After searching and finding a number of commercial programs to convert GIFs to AVI, I read a thread where someone said MS MovieMaker will accept a GIF and convert it to .wmv. I tried it ...it works...and TMPGenc converts the .wmv to .mpg so you can slip it into a dvd you're making. Everyone has MovieMaker...so don't waste money on GIF2AVI or some other commercial program.
  • celtic_druid
    Digital Video Expert
    Digital Video Expert
    • Dec 2005

I don't have MovieMaker.

Should work with mencoder which can output various formats. Probably heaps of other free ways to do it. Not quite sure why anyone would want to convert animated gif's to DVD though.

Comment

• uufta
      Digital Video Expert
      Digital Video Expert
      • Dec 2005

It came with Xp sp2 celtic, if you want it its free and works very well and has a very good support.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
        Demigod of Digital Video
        • Nov 2004

xp pro sp1 too.
        "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
        Columbo moments...
        "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
        "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
        (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• rsquirell
          Digital Video Master
          Digital Video Master
          • Feb 2003

I'm doing a scientific video...and there is a GIF floating around with Einstein smacking himself in the forehead with his palm as if to say "of course". Thought it would make an added touch. Also have a GIF of Mars' rotation.

Comment

• anonymez
            Super Moderator
            • Mar 2004

you could do it all in a single conversion, use xnview or similar to extract gif to single frames, then either load in vdub (just open the first frame, rest will load accordingly) or avisynth imagesource()
            "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• celtic_druid
              Digital Video Expert
              Digital Video Expert
              • Dec 2005

I run win2k SP4, Suse AMD64 10.1 and Win XP X64Pro. I'd have to reboot to check if X64 has MM. Otherwise I don't have it.

Comment

• rsquirell
                Digital Video Master
                Digital Video Master
                • Feb 2003

As the man said...microsoft gives MM away free. Thanx for all the replies guys. I searched this forum before going to google and found no mention of GIF conversion...so thought i'd drop this in as a reference thread so that years from now when you come to a similar impass you might search and find a simple free solution.

Comment

• benbryant
                  Digital Video Master
                  Digital Video Master
                  • Aug 2005

As the man said...microsoft gives MM away free. Thanx for all the replies guys. I searched this forum before going to google and found no mention of GIF conversion...so thought i'd drop this in as a reference thread so that years from now when you come to a similar impass you might search and find a simple free solution
                  Thank you very much, rsquirell. Your suggestion will be definitely very useful for our members who need to have this kind of conversion in the future

Regards

Comment

Working...