Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bob_goldwater
    • Jul 2006

VHS to PC

I was just wondering if anyone knew a way to capture a VHS on a pc maybe with a s-video cable or something so that it can be burned to a DVD. I know they have players that will do this but I was looking for a cheaper way to do it, any suggestions on how to do this, what software, and what cables to use would be appreciated
  • atifsh
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • May 2003

u need a capturing card, most tv tuners can capture aswell, see if u have one, otherwise u need a capturing card.
    Seems like as soon you buy somehing, v. 2 comes out 1.5 times as fast!..!

Comment

• hello people
      Gold Member
      Gold Member
      • Apr 2005

You should check out guides on the net too. I wanna do this too. I have an awesome doco I got off TV years ago onto VHS. It's an awesome doco about the KKK and racism
      music

Comment

• MikeyBK
        Digital Video Maniac
        • Feb 2006

@ Bob,

This thread will probably have some info that might be of benefit for you.
        I just got the Happauge WinTV PVR 150 Media Center Edition and am going to use it to convert our VHS collection to DVD and also to watch and record TV to my PC. Any suggestions and/or tips from those that have installed and used this PVR? I have heard that it might be better to download drivers from the Happauge website rather

MBK

Antec 900 ATX Mid Tower
        Antec True Power Trio 650W PSU
        ABIT IP35 Pro LGA 775 Intel Motherboard
        Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz CPU (Overclocking @ 2.9GHz)
        XFX GeForce 8600GT 256MB GDDR3 Video Card
        Patriot eXtreme Performance (2 x 1GB) DDR2 SDRAM
        Seagate Barracuda(Perpendicular Recording) 320GB SATA 3.0Gb

*SAMSUNG 18X LightScribe SATA SH-S183L DVD±R
        *Sony DRU-810A IDE DVD±R
        *BenQ LS DW1655 IDE DVD±R

Comment

• bob_goldwater
          • Jul 2006

what exactly is a capturing card and how would i know if i had one in a tv tuner or anything else. i figured it would be easer than that like hook up an s-video cable from vcr to my video card and get capturing software, but i guess everything isn't as easy as i think it should be

Comment

• MikeyBK
            Digital Video Maniac
            • Feb 2006

Originally Posted by bob_goldwater
            what exactly is a capturing card and how would i know if i had one in a tv tuner or anything else. i figured it would be easer than that like hook up an s-video cable from vcr to my video card and get capturing software, but i guess everything isn't as easy as i think it should be

Newegg has some good prices on them>

MBK

Antec 900 ATX Mid Tower

*Sony DRU-810A IDE DVD±R

Comment

• Mike89
              Digital Video Enthusiast
              Digital Video Enthusiast
              • May 2005

Your video card should work just fine as most of them now days can capture video. It should have come with the cables to hook it up from vid card to VHS. That's the way I do it (I've actually done it with both my video card and with my TV Tuner which does capturing as well).

A stand alone capture card is not needed unless you have a really ancient video card that can't do it.

As for software, there are a lot of them. If you have the Nero Suite, you already have it (Nero Vision)
              Last edited by Mike89; 14 Aug 2006, 12:01 PM.
              I7 920 @ 3.5 gig (ThermalRight U120E 1366 RT Heatsink), Asus P6T, 3x1024 Corsair DDR3 1600, EVGA GTX 280, NEC 90GX2, X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Pro, Lite-on IHAS4228 SATA DVD R/W, Pioneer DVR-216D SATA DVD R/W, LG GH22NS30 SATA DVD R/W, 2 WD 640 gig (32 meg cache) SATA HDDs, WD 750 gig SATA External HDD (eSata), Winfast USB2 TV Tuner, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speaker System, Corsair TX750w PSU, HSPC Top Deck Tech Station, Windows XP Pro

Comment

• jm1647
                An Eagles Fan, A MenuShrinker
                • Apr 2005

Not VHS to PC but almost a year ago I bought a LiteOn LVW-5005 standalone DVD recorder. There is a macrovision hack around for it so protected tapes and DVDs are no problem. The DVD part comes in handy for scratched DVDs the puter drives can't rip because if it plays it gets copied. The best $145 US I ever spent.

Comment

• MikeyBK
                  Digital Video Maniac
                  • Feb 2006

Originally Posted by Mike89
                  Your video card should work just fine as most of them now days can capture video. It should have come with the cables to hook it up from vid card to VHS. That's the way I do it (I've actually done it with both my video card and with my TV Tuner which does capturing as well).

A stand alone capture card is not needed unless you have a really ancient video card that can't do it.

As for software, there are a lot of them. If you have the Nero Suite, you already have it (Nero Vision)
                  What Video card are you using to do this VHS capturing? So the 'Video Card' has a S-Video In w/audio In? Just curious which cables you are referring to.
                  MBK

Antec 900 ATX Mid Tower

*Sony DRU-810A IDE DVD±R

Comment

• Mike89
                    Digital Video Enthusiast
                    Digital Video Enthusiast
                    • May 2005

The connector on the vid card is for both in and out. The dongle that comes with it is marked so you can which lines are in and which ones are out. Also most vid cards that capture and TV Tuners that capture already bypass Macrovision on the VHS, at least both mine do.
                    I7 920 @ 3.5 gig (ThermalRight U120E 1366 RT Heatsink), Asus P6T, 3x1024 Corsair DDR3 1600, EVGA GTX 280, NEC 90GX2, X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Pro, Lite-on IHAS4228 SATA DVD R/W, Pioneer DVR-216D SATA DVD R/W, LG GH22NS30 SATA DVD R/W, 2 WD 640 gig (32 meg cache) SATA HDDs, WD 750 gig SATA External HDD (eSata), Winfast USB2 TV Tuner, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speaker System, Corsair TX750w PSU, HSPC Top Deck Tech Station, Windows XP Pro

Comment

• MikeyBK
                      Digital Video Maniac
                      • Feb 2006

Originally Posted by Mike89
                      The connector on the vid card is for both in and out. The dongle that comes with it is marked so you can which lines are in and which ones are out. Also most vid cards that capture and TV Tuners that capture already bypass Macrovision on the VHS, at least both mine do.
                      So you say that bob_goldwater should be able to connect his VCR to his video card via S-video as he wants or with some other cable? .........Interesting.
                      I had to get a TV Tuner card (the same WinTV PVR 150 that you have) in order to capture from my VHS tapes since none of my PC's (two of which are very new) had the ability to capture with the installed video cards.

I also found that my WinTV PVR 150 did bypass the macrovision, however certain softwares saw the macrovision despite the WinTV PVR. The WinTV 2000 capture software that works with the TV Tuner card did not see the Macrovision and neither did Windows Media Center. But I prefer the WinTV 2000 since it gives me the option of what bitrate I would like to capture in. Nero Vision Express sucked, IMO, in it's capture quality.
                      MBK

Antec 900 ATX Mid Tower

*Sony DRU-810A IDE DVD±R

Comment

• Mike89
                        Digital Video Enthusiast
                        Digital Video Enthusiast
                        • May 2005

Come to think of it, I haven't copied a VHS since I got my Hauppage PVR 150. My previous TV Tuner card which was a Leadtek Winfast TV2000XP was the one I used and it did bypass the VHS Macrovision. My current video card I have also not used for this (I recently upgraded). The one I had used was an ATI X800 PE.

With the dongle included with the vid card should be an S Video connector and regular RCA jacks. The RCA jack is what I used to go into the VHS. For some reason my VHS won't accept S Video for the VHS part (it's a dual VHS/DVD and the S Video is just for the DVD part).

I used Nero Vison and the quality was good. The VHS tapes were not of the highest quality themselves (dated) and I was happy with the finished product on the DVD. I have never used another program so have no point of reference though. I just learned on Nero Vision by trial and error. I got where I could make neat backgrounds, menus, bringing in sound to play when menus were displayed. I was taking VHS tapes and was putting two or three of them at a time on a DVD with menus to choose which one to play. I actually had some fun doing it once I got used to the program.
                        Last edited by Mike89; 15 Aug 2006, 01:32 AM.

Comment

Working...