Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • olabaven
    • Aug 2006

1 Pc With 6 Monitors...

Hi there. I don't know in which forum i should post my question, i think this would be the right one.

I want to connect 6 (TFT monitors, TV's, Plazma monitors, whatever) displays on 1 laptop for a presentation. Problem is, i have to play 6 different avi's or presentations in flash, director etc. on the 6 screens. Is there any possible way to do this (hardware + software) ?

PS: I know the other option; 6 laptops, but it takes to much space and money.

Thanks.
  • RFBurns
    To Infinity And Byond
    • May 2006

Hi!

What you need is a video distribution amplifier or in your case a SVGA distribution box. It isolates each output so that all of the monintors get adequate signal without loss or loading between the monitors. It also prevents overloading your PC's video card output. A google search will point you in the right direction to vendors of such equipment.

Here..I will fix it!

Sony Digital Video and Still camera CCD imager service

MCM Video Stabalizer

Comment

• anonymez
      Super Moderator
      • Mar 2004

video distribution amplifier or in your case a SVGA distribution box
      but will each display be recognized as a different workspace by the graphics card or will the signal just be duplicated?

i would say setting up 6 different displays is difficult enough, might take a few minutes to get the avi files running too. btw you'll need vmr7/9/haali's renderer; depending on the file specs your laptop may need some grunt

good luck
      "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• Chewy
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2003

your laptop may need some grunt
        for 6 files simultaneous, just a little

Comment

• anonymez
          Super Moderator
          • Mar 2004

you forgot to quote
          depending on the file specs

6 simultaneous xvid streams (at a low 512x384 res, 25fps), handled by libavcodec & vmr9 maxed out one core (no multithreading), started getting dropped frames, i'd say an athlon64 3000+ at least. i should hope that olabaven's videos are 720x576+ if he's going to be playing them on large displays

Comment

• Chewy
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2003

is there a laptop vid controller that can output 6 streams?

Comment

• anonymez
              Super Moderator
              • Mar 2004

really all that's needed is vmr7/9 capability, most work is done in software. dx8.1 compliant graphics card is needed for vmr7, dx9 for vmr9 & haali-- many laptops have ati xpress/geforce go

what i'd be worried about is getting 6 displays set up in the first place, don't think it's possible without some spending

Comment

• RFBurns
                To Infinity And Byond
                • May 2006

Originally Posted by anonymez
                but will each display be recognized as a different workspace by the graphics card or will the signal just be duplicated?

i would say setting up 6 different displays is difficult enough, might take a few minutes to get the avi files running too. btw you'll need vmr7/9/haali's renderer; depending on the file specs your laptop may need some grunt

good luck
                Yes the signal would be duplicated across the monitors. For independant signals or streams, there is a piece of hardware that can do just that. However it is not a consumer item, its a broadcast/professional unit that is quite expensive. The files are loaded into the unit, the unit spits out the seperate feeds independantly to each monitor, and the unit itself can be controlled by a single PC or its own on-board CPU which is optional. The entire unit is configured per the end user's requirements. Odetics (google search) will have such a unit.

Here..I will fix it!

Sony Digital Video and Still camera CCD imager service

MCM Video Stabalizer

Comment

• Chewy
                  Super Moderator
                  • Nov 2003

better just get 6 laptops

Comment

Working...