Player that supports variable playback rate?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fernando2682
    • Sep 2006

Player that supports variable playback rate?

Hey all,

I have been looking for a player that supports variable playback rates for .avi files.(1.2x - 1.6x is what I need) So far I've noticed/found out the following things in my search:

1) Windows Media Player 10 - supports variable playback rates from .5x to 2.0x speed, but only for WMV files

2) The Core Media Player - ONLY supports .5x, 1x (normal), and 2x

3) InterVideo WinDVD Player - only supports variable video playback rate for DVDs

4) DiVx Player, VLC player, QuickTime player, Winamp - I can't find any option(s) that allow variable playback rate of video

I'm looking for 1.2x - 1.6x rate because I am interested in watching class lectures, movies, and TV shows (all in .avi format) at slightly faster rates, in order to save time and get through them faster.

I've successfully seen DVD movies using InterVideo WinDVD player at up to 1.6x speed with good results (you can still understand everything) and would like to do the same with many other avi files I have. Unfortunately, InterVideo WinDVD does not support variable playback rates for .avi files, only DVDs.

Does anyone know of a player or a plugin for an existing player that can help me? I'd like to avoid having to convert the .avi files into WMV or some other format to watch them, as this would be too troublesome, and the act of converting them itself would take gobs of time.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks in advance, all!
  • celtic_druid
    Digital Video Expert
    Digital Video Expert
    • Dec 2005

mplayer. Just use [ and ] to adjust. Default ratio will give you have 1.21 and 1.61x. You can alter the keyboard config though.

Comment

• anonymez
      Super Moderator
      • Mar 2004

welcome to the forum

mplayer is the easiest solution but there's also reclock or ffdshow's avisynth processing.

I am interested in watching class lectures, movies, and TV shows (all in .avi format) at slightly faster rates, in order to save time and get through them faster.
      take it easy, rushing through them will leave no time to enjoy the content; can't say the same about lectures though
      "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

Working...