• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • a529612
    Gold Member
    Gold Member
    • Feb 2006

DVD recorder: HQ vs HSP mode

How big is the difference in PQ between HQ and HSP recording mode on a standalone DVD recorder? Is it just a negligible difference? The show I want to record runs 1h 15mins and can't fit on a single layer DVD+RW on HQ mode. Thanks!
  • RFBurns
    To Infinity And Byond
    • May 2006

Hi!

Between the 1 hour HQ mode and 2 hour HSP mode, there is not that much of a difference in video quality between the two.

Here..I will fix it!

Sony Digital Video and Still camera CCD imager service

MCM Video Stabalizer

Comment

• a529612
      Gold Member
      Gold Member
      • Feb 2006

I noticed the PQ is less sharp on HSP vs HQ. Do you know anything about the bitrate between the 2 modes? Thanks!

Comment

• TNT
        DVD Shrinker
        • Jan 2004

I think each DVD recorder handles the different modes differently. My DVD player has 1(HQ), 2(SP), 3(LP), 4(EP), & 6(SLP) hr modes. It does not have a HSP mode per say. I hate to say this, but try to look for technical info about your particular product from the manufacturer's website. What DVD recorder do you have?
        Beauty is in the eye of the Beer-Holder.
        I'm in shape. ROUND is a shape. - George Carlin

How to choose an HDTV, Step by Step

Comment

• RFBurns
          To Infinity And Byond
          • May 2006

Originally Posted by a529612
          I noticed the PQ is less sharp on HSP vs HQ. Do you know anything about the bitrate between the 2 modes? Thanks!

Most DVD players have a function in its menu setup or "display" setups that can display the bitrate of the disc as it plays back. It should also show the audio bitrates.

Here..I will fix it!

Sony Digital Video and Still camera CCD imager service

MCM Video Stabalizer

Comment

• jm1647
            An Eagles Fan, A MenuShrinker
            • Apr 2005

I have a LiteOn LVW-5005 and have backed up VHS tapes and recorded 1hr TV shows in the 4HR mode with no noticeable loss of PQ IMO.

Comment

Working...